Chapter Twenty-Three

Early the next morning, Elouise woke up to Kandi knocking at her door. She dragged herself out of bed, ponytail undone, and ribbon lost somewhere within her sheets. She rubbed her eyes with her knuckles and yawned as she opened the door. Kandi curtsied, then beamed at Elouise as she informed her that Godwin wanted to speak to her about a certain change regarding her father.

Elouise nearly ran out of her bedchamber until Kandi advised her to change first. She glanced down at herself and sighed.

After getting dressed in a yellow gown with a lace front and collar, Elouise hurried into the hallway before Kandi could suggest looking through her hair jewels. It was best to leave those jewels alone for a while. Until her maids forgot about most of them, thus leaving them unable to notice a handful were gone.

Elouise couldn't fathom what Henry exactly did with everything she'd given him, but he'd assured her he would have it taken care of. She could do nothing about it now but take his word for it.

It took every ounce of her willpower not to run up to her father's bedchamber once they'd rounded the corner. Had she not been called by a servant, she would've.

Elouise spun, and her maids followed suit. The young lad—Jackson, she recognized—bowed to her. Elouise grinned at him when he faced her again.

He straightened himself up. "I've come to inform you that Eldon is here and is hoping to speak with you."

Her eyes brightened. "Bring him to me!" she instructed. Then she gasped when she saw Jackson turning away. "N-no! Actually, tell him to wait for me in the garden."

Again, Jackson readied himself to leave. Except Elouise also felt displeased with her second decision, either. And she shouted another, "No!"

Jackson skidded to a halt and turned back a third time.

Elouise frowned as a rush of heat reached her cheeks. That wasn't such a queenly trait now, was it? "He can come here and wait outside for me."

Gidget covered her mouth, stifling a laugh. Kandi nudged her gently. Elouise noticed both things and simply smiled at them before resuming toward her father's doors.

Dr. Godwin stepped out right as she approached. "Good morning, Your Highness." He bowed to her. The two guards beside the doors did the same.

"It certainly is!" Elouise answered, smiling eagerly at the physician. "You asked to speak with me, yes?"

"Indeed, Your Highness."

"It is so soon! I expected this to take days, but you have only been here one night."

"I did not sleep." Godwin then suggested they move aside to have some privacy. Elouise felt her elated demeanor falter. If the matter was to be discussed in private, she feared it meant bad news instead of good. Nonetheless, she obliged and followed him a few feet away.

Then she took a few deep breaths and waited for him to start, mentally preparing herself for the worst.

"Your father's illness is quite baffling, Your Highness," he said, rubbing his chin and glancing over at the doors. "As I said, I stayed up all night and everything I had tried resulted in nothing. Even my rarest medicines proved useless."

Oh, no.

"T-then what does that mean?" she asked softly. "You need more time. Much more—"

"Oh, don't get upset, Your Highness, because—" he paused, distracted by something down the hallway.

Elouise glanced over her shoulder and saw Jackson escorting Eldon toward them. Her spirits picked back up a bit as she offered him a smile. He returned it faintly.