Chapter Fifty-Four

"Ellie?"

Elouise slowly raised her head and saw Eldon approaching her.

Evening had settled in now. She sat on the swing again and had requested to be left alone for a while, wanting to reflect on everything that'd occurred in the morning.

Arnold's execution.

Haven.

And what she did to save Haven.

Once Eldon stood beside her, Elouise raised her hand and told him, "I do not want to hear it."

"I ain't gonna say nothin'," he promised.

"It was foolish, I know. It was a stupid, stupid mistake."

"You saved her life, Ellie. Ain't nothin' stupid 'bout that."

"I nearly exposed myself, Eldon."

"None of them know it was you. They all think it was an accident. You did good."

"Nothing merely bursts into flames by accident." Elouise stood from the swing and walked away, folding her arms across her chest as she felt the evening chill. Halcyon would be here soon, though. Why was it still cold? She shivered involuntarily, and her breath hitched when she felt Eldon hold her from behind.

She peeked back at him, her pulse excitedly quickening to find his face inches from hers.

"It's gonna be a'right," he said, and her gaze was drawn to his mouth. "You did nothin' wrong."

Elouise shut her eyes and turned her head away before her mind crossed a line she couldn't recover from. Her emotions were running rapidly right now, after all.

Then he released her, and she felt empty.

"You want me to bring you yer cloak?" he offered.

Just hold me again, her thoughts whispered.

"No," she answered, shaking her head.

"A'right, I'll leave you alone. I just wanted to come see how you were." When she didn't respond, he walked off.

No, do not let him leave yet. Call him back.

Elouise sighed in defeat. "Eldon, wait!" He did, and she went up to him. "I-I... I'm glad you think of the castle as your home now. That is all I've wanted since you returned... perhaps even before that. It won't be too long after we get back that you will finish your training and be officially knighted. Then we can talk seriously about travelling to the spot marked on Beatrice's map."

Eldon visibly relaxed at those words and nodded. "Yeah, that sounds like a good idea."

"Are you prepared to spend every waking moment with me?" she teased, grinning up at him.

Rather than laugh as she had hoped, he brushed back some of her hair behind her ear and smiled.

"I can't wait," he said.

Elouise's heart wanted to burst. She moved away from him again, mentally scolding herself for feeling this way.

"Are you a'right?" Eldon questioned.

"Ah..." Elouise glanced back at him, seeing the bewilderment on his features that almost made her want to smile again. Only he could make such a face look so endearing.

"I will be," she told him.

He left after that.

Elouise frowned as she walked through the small garden, mindlessly grazing the flowers she passed with her fingers. She returned inside once the moon and stars had completely taken over the sky. A few servants wandering about asked her if she needed anything. She politely declined and thanked them, feeling lighter now.