Chapter Thirty-Two

The next afternoon, Henry searched for his cousin.

He cupped his mouth as he continuously called out her name. His voice echoed throughout the wide corridors, and he thought that would be enough for Ivy to hear him. Nonetheless, he kept being greeted by silence.

Once he reached the back entrance for the second time, he sighed. The guards nearby asked him what was wrong. He turned to them to explain when their gazes shifted behind him, and they tensed.

Henry turned slowly and froze upon seeing Victor being escorted by a servant.

The servant bowed. "Your Highness—"

"No need for an introduction," Victor interrupted, roughly bumping the young boy out of the way. Then he grinned at Henry. "He knows why I'm here."

The servant nodded and hastily dismissed himself. Henry felt his mouth and throat go dry, and he forgot how to speak.

"A message for you arrived a few weeks back from the dear princess of this beautiful kingdom," Victor remarked viciously. "Considering your disappearance, I decided to read it. It sounded urgent. I would have come sooner. However, being the king makes traveling quite difficult sometimes."

Henry pressed his lips together and averted his eyes to the marble floor.

"Look at me," Victor snapped—any bit of patience he'd been feigning now completely gone.

Henry obeyed, afraid of what would happen if he didn't. His brother's eyes—although identical to his—were so cold and unfamiliar. Like being a child and looking into the eyes of a threatening stranger.

"Did you think you were going to live here in paradise for the rest of your"—Victor paused, glancing at the guards behind Henry. He muttered something to himself, and then he clutched Henry's arm, dragging him into the nearest room. They nearly collided with a group of kitchen servants preparing the next meal. Despite their gasps and stares, Victor didn't seem to care about them witnessing his wrath.

Clearing his throat, Victor started over. "Did you think you were going to live here for the rest of your worthless life?"

"No," Henry cautiously answered. "No, I did not. I... I intended to go back. I only needed a break."

"A break? You wanted a break? And from what, exactly? You think you do so much that you deserve a break?"

"I-I don't know..." Henry trailed off, inhaling sharply to keep himself steady. A few servants hurried around them to grab a few things. He noticed how they did their best to pretend they weren't paying attention to this conversation. They kept their heads down, yet they couldn't stop themselves from sneaking peeks at them. He caught each time before they scurried away.

"It was a mistake, Victor," Henry meekly continued. "Truly. I'm not sure what I was thinking."

Victor smirked, clearly satisfied by Henry's words. Or so Henry believed until Victor snatched his wrist and yanked him forward, digging his fingernails in hard enough for Henry to feel them through his thick sleeve.

Victor spoke low through his teeth clenched. "The moment we are back in Caelum, you are being thrown into the tower where the only communication you'll have is with the guard standing outside your door. Therefore, I suggest you make your goodbye to your precious little friends real nice and long, because it will be the last time you ever see them. Do you understand me?"

Henry's eyes burned. Yet he blinked hard, pushing back the temptation to break down and beg his brother for mercy. It would be a useless effort anyway. Victor would simply laugh in his face and kick him aside as he always did whenever Henry showed any sign of weakness.