Chapter Six

Dearest Henry,

I hope all is well in Caelum. Give my congratulations to your brother on his recent coronation. I have recently found myself in need of advice from a trusted ally. If you can, please come to Aristol at your earliest convenience. I apologize for this very brief letter. We will speak more in person. I hope to see you soon.

Your friend,

El

Elouise closed the letter with burgundy wax and stared down at the butterfly molded into it. It had been her mother's signature seal, and she decided she wanted to use it as well. Another way to honor her.

Elouise sighed as she turned the letter over and wrote Henry's name down. Perhaps addressing this to him rather than Victor was not the wisest idea. However, she couldn't stomach the idea of directly asking Victor for help.

She waited for the ink to dry before taking the letter downstairs and handing it over to a servant. It would be sent out tomorrow morning, and it would likely take a week to arrive in Caelum. She truly hoped Henry would come. Even if she lost her courage to ask him for this favor, at least she would have her dear friend by her side again. He had been acting rather strange the morning of his departure, but he'd smiled at her every time she had looked at him, and he had embraced her a beat longer than she'd expected. Almost as if he'd been afraid to let her go.

Then again, that could've all meant nothing. She sometimes tended to take things far more seriously than they were. Her father once told her so. And there was no need to dwell on any of this now. She had other matters to attend to.

Elouise checked her surroundings. It was about time for the trainees to take their break, and she suddenly had another craving for oranges.

---

Of all the trainees Elouise had managed to spar with, she decided she liked Annaliese the most. Annaliese was quick on her feet and easily deflected each one of Elouise's strikes—even when Elouise tried breaking her pattern. Although frustrating at first, she grew fond of Annaliese's skill and how much it was helping her improve her own moves.

Then came the defeat when Annaliese leaped behind Elouise, and the tip of her sword touched the small part of Elouise's neck that was still exposed. Elouise dropped her sword and raised her hands.

Annaliese chuckled behind her helm, lowering her sword, then stepping back. Elouise turned around as Annaliese removed the metal object from her head. Her short and dark hair stood up in various directions. Instead of flattening it out, she shook it, inadvertently making it worse. But somehow, she still looked perfect.

"Well done, Booker," she complimented, holding out her hand.

Elouise swallowed hard and shook her hand. Annaliese furrowed her eyebrows, glancing down at Elouise. Fortunately, she said nothing and walked away as the captain announced they were moving to the archery grounds. He suggested they each cool themselves down first. Then everyone began to scatter, giving Elouise the opening to make her escape.

She would've liked staying for archery, considering how horrid she was with a bow, but she needed to go before someone started searching for her. She hurried behind to the back of the barracks and teleported to her bedchamber, where she stripped herself of the armor and got back into her royal attire.

Elouise heard knocking at her door and ran to the looking glass to smooth out the frizz in her hair. Unlike Annaliese, she couldn't make the unruly style work for her.

"Your Highness!" Fayre dramatically sang.

Elouise leaned forward. She was grateful her skin tone mostly hid the flush covering her face, but it didn't conceal her damp forehead and baby hairs. Ah, well.