Chapter Thirty-Four

Eldon stepped out of Snow's stall, closing the gate behind him. He then turned around and leaned over it as she got closer.

"Today was a bad day," he said. "Sorry 'bout not comin' to feed you earlier. I heard you gave 'em trouble, though."

Snow snorted in response, and he snickered.

"Is it true what I heard?" Leanne asked.

Eldon glanced over his shoulder, seeing her stop near the first stall. And he frowned. "You mean 'bout Henry and Ivy?"

"They're leavin'?"

Eldon looked up at Snow. She blinked in return, and he sighed. "Yeah, it's true."

Leanne usually spent her evenings training a little more with Sir Aaron. They got along well—perfect sparring partners. Eldon hadn't even known Aaron had good humor until he heard the jests he shared with Leanne. They shared a lot of things in common, actually. They were like twins at this point.

Sometimes, once Leanne finally cleaned up and decided to eat for the night, Ivy would come to visit. These were usually short visits because Ivy would insist on Leanne getting some sleep. Leanne looked forward to these visits, though. She didn't have to say it. Eldon knew from her smiles and the way she let out heavy sighs whenever Ivy left.

The same sigh he heard leave her mouth now.

Together, they made their way back to the barracks. Leanne entered first, and he followed suit. Without any soldiers around—most had gone to sleep earlier tonight—Eldon could see just how huge the building was. It was like its own palace. The most repulsive part was how the entire area reeked once everyone was back inside from a long day. Even though they did clean themselves up every day, they were only permitted to fully bathing at the end of the week—unless there was a special occasion. Eldon had gotten used to breathing through his mouth at night, but it wasn't like that helped much.

A few candles had remained lit, allowing Eldon to see his way toward the staircase on the other side. Leanne stayed behind, picking the petals off a gardenia in a vase. Booker had picked those yesterday to help with the smell when one of the older knights got sick from drinking too much.

"What an adventure," Leanne whispered, holding the petals in her hand. Then she let them fall. Eldon watched them flutter to her feet.

"Off to bed, Eldon?" she then asked him. "I think I'm gonna have a drink first. Wanna join me instead?" She turned her head slightly, looking at him through her lashes.

Leanne always did that whenever she wanted him to say yes. And so he said yes. Maybe he needed it, too.

They went into the dining hall where she told him to pick a table while she grabbed the chalices and the wine. He picked the seat he always chose, and Leanne joined him a moment later, sitting across from him. She filled both cups and carefully slid one forward.

Eldon sighed as he took it and held it up to his lips.

Leanne put the wine bottle down and nodded at him. "You wanna say somethin' before we drink?"

"Sure." Eldon cleared his throat and smiled. "To more adventures. Lose one, gain another."

Leanne snorted. "Easy for you to say." Still, her smile didn't fade. "To that, then."

They clinked their chalices together and took a swig. Eldon thought that would be it. But once his cup was empty, Leanne was pouring more wine into his, and then her own. Next thing he knew, the bottle was empty, and she left to grab a second one. Just in case, she had said.