Chapter One

Monius 1, 1594

(3/1/1594)

"This is a particularly special day," the Captain of the Guard explained, pacing back and forth in front of the trainees. "Today marks an official year since you men and women arrived here at the castle to begin your training."

He brought a finger up and wiped the corner of his mouth, then he stopped in front of David: a sixteen-year-old with sandy colored hair, bronze skin, and a nose splattered with freckles. David often received praise from the old grouchy captain and was rumored to be knighted before the other trainees. He was the best of the best... or so the whispers claimed.

The captain nodded. "I want you to go against Booker."

Everyone else snickered and looked over at where Booker was standing in the back, already wearing his helm and dressed in full armor. Booker had been struggling the most. Although older than David, his skills fell short against him. He couldn't help but trip over his own feet at least once a day. So to pin him against this "prodigy" seemed like a sure way to humiliate him solely for everyone else's amusement. 

David finished arming himself and situated the helm on his head. He drew his sword and headed for the center of the fighting grounds. Booker followed suit, holding his head high.

"You've got this, Booker!" someone called out, though judging by their tone, they were not genuine. The rest of the trainees laughed at this.

David grinned and shook his head. "Don't listen to them. I've noticed your steady improvements over the past few months. So, let's give them a good show."

Booker nodded, clutching his sword and holding it out. David did the same. The captain approached them and raised his hands. As soon as those hands dropped, the trainees began.

David pushed his sword forward, and Booker jumped back, narrowly missing the stab.

The captain rejoined the others. Half the crowd booed. The other half simply laughed and clapped, enjoying what would likely be a comical display.

Booker straightened himself up and held up his sword as David came at him again. David's sword clanged against Booker's. Booker used both hands to hold his sword steady, adding to his strength. Then he successfully pushed David away. The younger trainee stumbled backwards, but he caught himself and charged again.

Booker leaped out of the way and moved behind David. David spun, blocking his attack. Then they reached a steady rhythm with each other.

Left, right, up, down, right, up, and... repeat.

David tried throwing Booker off by abruptly switching where he was aiming next. Yet Booker managed to catch onto this every time, and he countered almost all of them and blocked the rest.

"Come on, David!" someone screamed. "Get him already!"

Rather than encourage him, the shout distracted David, causing him to glance in the person's direction. Booker took this opportunity to knock his weapon out of his grip.

The trainees gasped in disbelief. Booker took a step forward, prepared to go in for the final blow, except David surrendered. And Booker backed away.

No one appeared pleased. Their jovial expressions were gone, like they hadn't been laughing terribly loud a mere moment ago.

"We must be proud of Booker!" The captain boasted, gesturing toward the shorter man. "You have been practicing in your spare time, haven't you?" He glared at the trainees standing behind him. "Therefore, I wonder why I've been hearing that you merely waste your days off frolicking through the fields."