Chapter Twelve

Eldon hadn't known what to expect when he brought Leanne to Darwyn's inn. It sure wasn't to be greeted with open arms and a, "You've got two nights covered. Courtesy of Her Highness."

Leanne grinned at him. Eldon pretended like he didn't notice anything as he took the key from Darwyn.

They made their way up to their room. Leanne chose the bed next to the window so she could stare up at the stars later. It helped her sleep sometimes.

Eldon closed the door behind him and leaned against it, biting his tongue once again. Still, the corners of his mouth kept twitching upwards.

Leanne plopped down and threw her satchel onto the floor. "Don't bother me again 'til tomorrow." She covered her face with her right arm, and that was that.

Eldon shook his head and moved away from the door. He watched his friend for a moment—until he knew for sure she'd fallen asleep. Then he sat down on the edge of the other bed and exhaled slowly.

Leanne had done all the talking with Sir Aaron. She explained the letter she wanted him to write for them. Although Aaron kept looking back and forth between them and crossed his arms, he agreed to it. Leanne promised him they would write their own letters and send them home in a few days to "follow up."

Eldon had expected Aaron to question them more. So, when Aaron didn't, Eldon found himself confused by the entire situation himself. On their way out, Leanne told him to relax. He wasn't worried, though. He just had a lot of questions and not enough energy to ask them.

Maybe that was why it was easy for him to lie back and close his eyes. And he hadn't expected to sleep through the night. So when he heard Leanne rummaging around the room, he thought he would open his eyes and see a dark room. To instead be greeted by a room brightened by the morning sun had him gasping and sitting upright. A little too quickly, too. The walls spun for a bit, and he groaned. 

Leanne whirled around and grinned at him. "Finally, yer awake. Felt bad wakin' you 'cause you were actually snorin'. Must've been a good dream to make you sleep like that." He heard the light teasing in her voice. He huffed, and she laughed to herself.

"Don't think I dreamed anythin'," Eldon grumbled, rubbing his neck. He felt like he'd just closed his eyes for a few minutes. They begged for more rest now.

"Yeah, yeah." Leanne walked up to his side and slapped his knee. "Well, if yer good, let's go out and do somethin'. I didn't plan for us to stay here just so we could sleep all day."

Eldon moved his legs over the edge of the bed and yawned. "It's gonna be busy out there all day. Wanna start explorin' outside the walls first? There's a field of wildflowers you'll like."

Leanne's eyes lit up. "Now yer talkin', Eldon." She stepped aside and gestured to the door. "Lead the way."

---
After checking on the horses, Eldon and Leanne made their way out of town. He walked the same path he remembered walking with Elouise and the princes on the Day of the Boats. Staring ahead, he could almost see Elouise walking in front of them, explaining the importance of the holiday.

When he spotted the wildflowers in the distance, he sighed. The scene played out in front of him. The princes gathering around and getting on their knees to pick flowers. Prince Henry so carefully twisting his bunch into a crown. And Elouise getting closer to Eldon.

Leanne touched his shoulder. Then he blinked hard, letting the imagery fade away, and he turned to his friend. She beamed at him.

"It is pretty here," she said, moving past him. She stopped right where Prince Avery had sat and rested her hands on her hips. "It sure is weird..."