Chapter Fifty-Five

Eldon leaned against one of the arches in front of the manor. He watched servants prepare their carriage for their departure. For the first time since they arrived here, his body didn't feel stiff. And he sighed as he imagined his bed in the barracks. But he also wondered how Leanne was. Eldon wished he could tell her about everything. She was going to ask him about so much, and he would have to lie through his teeth.

For her safety, he reminded himself.

"Good morning, Eldon," he heard Elouise's sweet voice from behind.

Eldon turned his head and smiled at her.

"I have an idea," she said. "Usually, this celebration is between the soldiers after the ceremony, but I thought it would be nice if, if we, well, if we..." she looked down at her hands, and roses colored her cheeks. "If we did something together the night of your knighting ceremony."

"Yes," he quickly answered without even considering what he was agreeing to.

Being alone with Elouise. At night. Away from any prying eyes. Where he could just sit and listen to her talk about anything for hours and mentally curse himself and his damn heart for the way he felt about her. It sounded perfect.

Elouise grinned up at him.

"... eventful, right?" Eldon heard Ivy ask. He and Elouise looked over, finding her walking with Henry.

Henry sighed. "Well, that is a better word for it." He then faced forward and beamed at them.

Ivy did the same. "Is anyone else just relieved to be going home?"

"Perhaps a bit too much, yes," Elouise answered. "I miss my own bedchamber, my garden, and my wonderful baker. I'm hoping we return to plenty of new treats to try."

"It's too bad we couldn't end this trip by seein' 'nother dragon," Eldon whispered, eyeing Ivy.

Ivy whined. "I know! I wonder where Luna is right now."

"But you get to go back to Clawdia."

Henry groaned. "That name..." And then his cousin pinched his forearm. "Ow! Ivy." He moved away from her and rubbed the spot.

"Do not judge my child's name and I will never judge yours," she said, raising her chin.

Eldon and Elouise laughed.

"Let's sit next to each other, Elouise," Ivy then said, rushing forward and taking her by the wrist.

As she was being dragged away, Elouise glanced at Eldon and Henry. "I will see you both during our first rest stop!" Then she hurried to catch up and walk alongside Ivy.

Eldon smiled as he watched her. Then he remembered yesterday and turned to Henry, frowning. "Got any idea where Haven is?"

Henry tensed at the mention of her name, and he shook his head. "I went to the tavern last night in search of her. She wasn't there, which did not surprise me. I have a feeling she will not be showing her face in the city any time soon... or at all."

"Yeah. Udolf really got the people hatin' her. Ain't worth the risk."

"She survived, though. I'm certain she is somewhere celebrating her victory."

Eldon didn't doubt that.

Then Henry added, "I hope you don't think we're on her side now because we saved her."

"I know." Eldon nodded. "I might never forgive her or think differently 'bout her, but she didn't deserve to die like that."

"Yes. Now it's over, though, and she is out of our lives."