Chapter Twenty-Nine

It was at night, a little over two weeks later, that Elouise became increasingly dull as she waited in her mother's study.

Fayre was late for their practice session... again. However, Elouise shook off any worried thoughts, certain that this tardiness came with good reason. After all, Fayre was a busy woman with an elderly father who now depended on her more than ever.

Elouise sighed as she sunk deeper into the rosy velvet chair, her eyes threatening to flutter shut. The comfort of her silk nightgown further welcomed the lovely idea of sleep. When was the last time she'd slept peacefully throughout the whole night? It felt as though she was brutally destined to wake up hours before dawn. And then left to lie in bed to reflect her troubles until the sun rose and her maids were calling to "wake" her up.

Elouise nearly gave into temptation when the doors opened. She jolted upright, recognizing her friend's silhouette in the faint moonlight seeping in through the window.

Then a smirk turned up the right corner of her lips as she thought of something to attempt.

Focusing on the candle nearest to her, Elouise said, "You are late." Then she snapped her fingers, igniting the wick.

Fayre stopped in her tracks and raised her brows. And Elouise could no longer resist throwing a show of excitement. She jumped to her feet, squealing and clapping her hands together.

"Did you see how flawlessly I accomplished that?"

Fayre closed the doors behind her and grinned at Elouise. "Your mother would be so proud."

Elouise swallowed hard, struggling to keep the smile on her face. "S-shall we continue?" She raised her left hand to practice rising and lowering the flame with her movements.

Fayre crept closer, halting in front of the desk. Elouise nearly faltered when she noticed how uninterested Fayre seemed. She appeared lost in thought instead.

"I've been meaning to ask," she then spoke, looking away. "How is everything going? With Eldon, I mean. Is he adjusting well?"

Elouise curled in her fingers, causing the fire to flicker and weaken. Without meeting Fayre's eyes, she said, "I honestly wouldn't know. The captain has been rigorously training him." She then brought her fist lower, and she twitched her lips upward as the flame went out completely.

"You two haven't had a chance to talk about what you are going to do next?"

Elouise sighed, opening her hand, and raising it. The flame almost came back to life. "Fay, you know very well that neither of us knows where to go from the last information we gathered." She hadn't yet informed Fayre about the map Eldon had found.

No, not yet. Before Elouise even entertained the idea, she wanted to prepare first. That way, Fayre wouldn't be able to argue against it. To do so, she needed to speak with her lady, Daisy, first. Knowing Daisy, though, she was likely out of the kingdom. She always left to travel during this time of the year. Best weather for most other kingdoms during this time, she once said to Elouise.

Fayre had stayed silent. Elouise swallowed hard as she met her eyes. Fayre's expression was stern. Mouth set in a hard line, and eyes narrowed—a look Elouise recalled seeing on her mother's face various times.

"Do not make the excuse that he has been too occupied," Fayre said. "Every trainee is given substantial breaks throughout the day, and I know for a fact that he is always available in the evenings."

Elouise's cheeks burned. Her chagrin fueled the candle's flame again, and it burst to life in brilliant shades of red and orange.

Unsure what to say, she asked, "Y-You... you know this for a fact?"