Chapter Fifty-Two

A/N: Before we get into the chapter, I'd like to announce that I've written a backstory for Tatianna! It is told through her perspective and it's in first person, too. It centers around her time as a princess, leading up to her becoming queen, having Elouise, and realizing Elouise is the savior. Go ahead and check it out if you'd like! It's called A Princess' Tale.

~~~~~

Eldon woke up to Aaron knocking furiously on his door. He lazily rubbed his eyes with his knuckles and dashed out of the bed to answer. Aaron looked exhausted. Like he'd aged five years overnight. Eldon took a deep breath, knowing he would be given bad news.

"We have a situation," Aaron firmly stated. "Bring your sword." Then he rushed down the hallway.

Eldon blinked a few times. He'd expected something like that, but it still took his mind a moment to catch up.

"Great," he grumbled, moving back into the room. He snatched his sword off the chair next to the door and hurried after Aaron, barely remembering to limp.

They met up with King Philip and a few of the royal castle guards. Eldon furrowed his eyebrows, wondering what they were doing over here. He recognized Lady Haley well. She patrolled around the castle garden at night.

King Philip turned to him and sighed. "These two have just informed us that our prisoner has escaped."

Eldon widened his eyes and searched the faces of the guards, hoping one of them would tell him something different. They just nodded, though. That's when Eldon finally took in their surroundings. Specifically, the dimness of the corridor and the candles still being lit.

Was it even dawn yet?

"The three men who were on patrol were killed, so we immediately rode out here after finding their bodies," Lady Haley explained. "A few witnesses say they saw him come this way."

Eldon held his breath as he thought about Elouise. He tried to move past them, but King Philip held him back.

"Slow down. Henry and Fayre are already with her. However, she insists we should be more concerned for your safety than hers."

Eldon still wanted to see her.

"But we must be on high alert nonetheless," King Philip continued. "Udolf has been informed, along with his guards."

Eldon bit down on his tongue, resisting reacting to that. After last night, he knew Udolf wouldn't make any efforts to stop Arnold.

King Philip instructed where everyone except Eldon should stand posted until further notice. They all bowed their heads and quickly obeyed.

Eldon waited as patiently as someone could in a situation like this. He didn't want to just stand around and do nothing. He couldn't even if he tried. King Philip turned to him next and squinted his eyes as he gestured down the hall with his arm.

"Well? You are her appointed guard, aren't you? Go. And do not let her out of your sight."

Eldon didn't need to be told twice. He bowed to King Philip and went on his way. When he arrived at the room, he hovered near the doorway, seeing that Ivy and Gidget were now also there. Like everyone else, Elouise was still in her night attire and her hair was in the same style from yesterday. She twirled frizzy strands around her finger, but she briefly stopped when she noticed him enter.

Eldon set aside his sword against the wall and greeted everyone. He didn't blame any of them for returning halfhearted responses. He stood by the bedpost, right next to Henry who had his arms crossed and a hard look on his face.