// Thirty \\

RECAP: Elora overheard some pack-mates talk about Maverick (obviously in a derogatory, or bad, manner). This leads to the idea that maybe there are pack members thinking of rising against him?? Anyways, Elora met up with Liz and learned that she felt something watching them at the party and opened up about her special 'gift.' Elora went home alone (insert tears) and began feeling sick at school the next day. The chapter ended with her vomiting blood. *gross*

———————

Blood.

I'm immune to seeing it. Once we first shift, we are taught to hunt and kill in our wolf form so we feel more connected to our wolf and can live off the land if need be.

I remember feeling queasy upon seeing a bloody animal for the first time. It was a brown rabbit: nothing special but a form of life my wolf had killed.

My empathetic, human heart couldn't take the sight.

Once I had shifted back to my human form after that first kill, seeing the rabbit's gruel carcass and bones was horrific.

I felt like a monster.

I am a monster.

After awhile, I realized that I wasn't the monster. Whatever my wolf kills for food does not mean that I did it. My wolf needs to eat for survival.

This was how I was able to live with myself: how I accepted myself for what I was and always will be.

A werewolf.

So, when I began puking blood, I guess it didn't hit me as hard.

I guess I didn't think I was that sick.

Blood is a normal, bodily fluid.

Throwing up a little blood doesn't hurt...right?

Wrong.

I stupidly brush it off, skipping seeing the nurse and went straight to my musical practice.

Bad choice.

If you're ever vomiting blood, go to the hospital right away. Don't be an idiot like I am.

You'll end up passed out in the middle of the woods in someone's random ass shack and being treated by a group of beings that you didn't realize existed.

...

"Elora...you don't look so good. You should probably sit down. I don't need another person passing out on this stage ever." Mr. Droney says, giving me a questionable look when I begin to wobble around after learning some choreography.

I stand my ground. "I'm fine."

"No. You're not. Call your ride home. You look like the blood has been drained from you." Mr. Droney states.