// Eight \\

The whole car ride home, I don't say a word to Maverick. Even though I had let him kiss me before and had put on a smile while walking out to the car with him, I'm still thoroughly pissed at him for nearly choking Jamaal to death.

What makes him think I'd be okay with that?

Even if I barely know the person, you still don't do that unless you're defending yourself. Even then, I don't know. I'm not one that promotes violence at all.

Weird to say because I'm a werewolf who has grown up around a fair share of violence.

"El, babe... I know you're upset. I can see it written all over your face," Maverick finally speaks up, making me turn my head towards him.

The sun illuminates his golden eyes more, and I can't help but to admire how heavenly he looks at the moment.

It is a complete one-eighty from earlier today.

I let out a sigh. "I just don't understand why you got so—so ugly earlier. Do you always get like that?"

Maverick clenches the wheel tighter, to the point that his knuckles are turning white. The air in the car seems to get hot and stale as he narrows his eyes.

"Be careful, Elora. I'm still your Alpha, so I suggest you watch your tone," he growls lowly. His eyes flickering back and forth between the piercing, abnormal yellow and his normal, golden color.

Unfortunately, I don't listen well, and I scoff at his ridiculous remark.

"Technically, you're only my mate, not my Alpha. Plus, the Luna and Alpha are always equal."

Do you want to die?? My wolf asks myself.

At this, Maverick only smirks.

"I am actually your Alpha since you live in my territory and all the necessary paperwork was completed in transferring you into my pack indefinitely. Also, you are not luna yet as we have not completed the mating bond, so you're justifications are invalid," he replied smugly, his lips curling.

I bite my lip in anger, crossing my arms and looking out the window again; just like I had at the beginning of this car ride.

My mind is swirling with so many questions. All of them relating to my mate.

Why did he have to be so damn complicated?

Why couldn't he be like the male version of me? Like Kaia has with Dante, or even my mother with my father.

Did the Moon Goddess really think Maverick and I were similar?

I'm fairly honest, open, and very laid back. Maverick, on the other hand, is not open at all, and he is always seemingly tense and easily angered.

Honestly, is the Moon Goddess trying to play a joke here? Or... did she pair me with him so I could possibly help him?

Help him unleash this beast consuming him, allowing him to be normal and free.

"Elora, we're here. I'll be at the pack house going over things with my executive board, but I should be back for dinner," Maverick says, shaking me from my thoughts.