// Sixteen \\

~~ MAVERICK ~~

The growls elicited from the Drac's throat cause an overwhelming sense of anger to burst through my stoic facade. The blood-thirsty demon inside me wants to rip the thing to shreds for even threatening me with its gurgling growl. Thankfully, my true wolf is helping refrain myself from doing much besides clenching my fists while my glare intensifies on the mutated mutt.

We have the beast tied down and have been awaiting for it to fully awaken.

It is currently thrashing around, trying to claw out of the silver bindings on all four of its legs. Usually the silver weakens werewolves, but with this thing, it is almost unfazed by them. Its blood red eyes find my now yellow ones, widening them. I assume the action to be in fear.

I can't help the sly smirk that forms on my lips.

"Are you ready to shift and tell us what the hell you're doing in my territory, mutt?" I sneer, crossing my arms as I approach the Drac.

It cowers away from me, only adding onto my boastfulness nature.

Vander trails behind me like the true Beta he is. I'm so glad I had chosen him as Beta and not Ian, as Ian isn't as abiding to my demands as Vander.

The beast stays in its place, staring at me in a strange way. It then bows its head to me, which confuses me.

"Alpha, why is it bowing?" Vander asks me. I only shrug before crouching down so I'm eye level with the creature.

"I'm demanding you to shift, Drac. Now."

I keep my voice firm as I order it. It looks me directly in the eyes before I hear the ever so familiar sound of bones cracking and reforming. Fur becomes flesh as the creature turned from something deadly to something quite the opposite; a girl around Elora's age.

Her ghastly pale complexion brings out her strikingly dark ember hair. Her eyes are still a vibrant red in her human form. She also has an extremely athletic build for her smaller body.

Right as I'm about to order Vander to get her something to cover her up, a low voice sounds. I turn around to see Ian eyeing up the Drac in a strange way. He struts over towards where I crouched before shoving me as hard as he can. I'm too stunned at his actions to even retaliate back. I see the gleam in his eye as he bends beside her.

As I get up to punish Ian, he turns to look over at me.

"Please take these restraints off my mate. She's uncomfortable."

I blink several times, registering what Ian just said. Taking a glance over towards Vander, he appears just as shocked as I am.

"Excuse me? She's a Drac." My statement makes her cringe slightly at the derogatory word for her strange kind. Ian stands up from his crouched position, giving me a cold glare. If looks could kill, I would've killed him because my glare back to him is much more lethal.

"Maverick—Alpha ...please take the cuffs off her. She won't harm us!"

I know the mate bond is interfering with his common sense since this thing could cause some damage if she really wanted to. I shake my head giving him a look, warning him to stop his foolishness.

"Ian. You know I can't do that. I will give you and your mate some time to talk. I need to go speak with Elora. I'll send someone from the pack-house to give her clothing and food. I can't trust her yet," I announce before walking out of the shed with Vander right beside me.

We walk in silence for awhile until Vander speaks up.

"Alpha, are you going to tell Elora any of this? I know I shouldn't be imputing my opinion but—"

"You're right. You shouldn't be. Elora is my business," I snap out, getting irritated out of nowhere.

I've been struggling internally to keep this demon at bay. I need to use my inner strength to keep it down. I'm not going to let it hurt Elora again.

That night I did, I had ran to the deeper wooded area behind our house, finding comfort in an old spot that Millie and I used to hang around in our wolf form.

I had laid there in my wolf form, letting my wolf and self release its cries and howls to the moon. I didn't know what to do. Elora would've freaked if I went back to apologize, and I wouldn't have blamed her.

She deserves a better mate.

She deserves things that I cannot provide for her right now.

I'm not talking about material things. I'm talking about a life that's peaceful and full of happiness.

I can only bring her grief and pain.

Vander nods in understanding as we walk into the pack-house. Upon walking in, I see Elora and a couple of the girls lounging in one of the living rooms, a mini 'spa' seemingly set up. I recognize both the girls as being Chelsea and Elizabeth Rothski; Daughters of Phillip and Judith Rothski, who are also friends of my parents. The girls have always been nice, and I feel myself smiling at the scene before me.

I smile, continuing my venture into the living room. Spotting Elora fully relaxed on the chair, I feel a bit bad for having to get her. I need to explain things to her.

I want to give her a way out of this hell.

It may hurt at first, but it will be for the best.

hey everyone! Hope you enjoyed this short chapter from Maverick's POV. I know I said I wasn't going to do his POV, but, I thought it would be fun ;) lemme know your thoughts! thank you for all the support!!!

Don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the update!

much love<3

~Madelyn Joy

**edited 9/27/21**