// Eighteen \\

"Next!"

I gulp nervously at the sound of our drama teacher's harsh tone.

Mr. Droney is notorious for being very particular and heavily critical when it comes to casting.

He once asked another teacher to help cast the school's annual musical two years ago, but apparently she was too 'nice' according to him. From then on, he vowed to just cast members of the musical himself. He is basically a very flamboyant version of Simon Cowell, without the British accent.

I watch as Kenzie Peters takes the stage. She is also auditioning for the lead female role of Christine Daae in 'The Phantom of the Opera'.

I have always dreamt of playing the infamous role of Christine, but I have a feeling that Kenzie will most likely take the role this year. She fits the description of the character to a 'tee.' She has the whimsical eyes that hold curiosity and sweetness, and her voice is so light and airy.

Anytime I've ever heard her sing, she'd brings me to tears. So, it is kind of idiotic to even audition for the same role as her, but, like I said, it has been a dream of mine. Regardless, I know I'll get casted as some role whether it be part of the chorus or another character because Mr. Droney tends to favor me.

What a shocker, right?

"Miss Peters, please begin by singing the beginning of Christine's part in 'The Phantom of the Opera' main song."

Kenzie nods before singing.

"In sleep he sang to me. In dreams he cameEe ugh," she begins to sing beautifully until a hoarse and really gross cough overtakes the next line.

Everyone cringes at the sound, and poor Kenzie stops singing, bolting from the stage in pure embarrassment.

Mr. Droney stands up with a frown as she runs out of the auditorium, tears streaming her angelic face. His pale blue eyes reflect a hint of sadness before switching back to a passive and stoic face.

"Alright. Next!"

I look around, noticing I'm the next to go. Kaia nudges my arm with an encouraging smile. I only grimace in response, not feeling confident after watching Kenzie mess up. She is the queen of the drama department, and even she broke down.

"You'll do great, El! Just pretend it's only you and Maverick," Kaia says sweetly.

I think about Maverick just being here as he'd listen to me sing. My stomach twists into a bunch of knots at the thought.

"Yeah, no. That just made it worse." She rolls her eyes before shoving me towards the stage.

As I hesitantly walk up the stage, Mr. Droney's passive facade is replaced with a sincere smile.

See, I told you he likes me.

"Ah, Elora Waters. I see you are also auditioning for the role of Christine. Could you also please sing the same part. Try not to hack up a lung. I don't want to throw up my lunch again..." I quirk an eyebrow at his last utterance, nodding along.

"Yeah, of course."

I take a deep breath before I let the beginning of the song flow from my mouth. I manage to not cough, and I actually sound somewhat decent, which is good. Mr. Droney also seems pleased, giving me a small smile.

"Well done, Elora. Okay, next we will need Kaia Newall on the stage."

I walk down the stage, giving  Kaia a smile of encouragement. She is auditioning for the role of Meg Giry, the friend of Christine and more of a dancer. I have a feeling she will get the part since only one other person is auditioning for the role, and it's a Freshman.