//Nineteen\\

|| Maverick ||

"Faye?"

Goddess. It's been years since I've seen her. She hasn't changed at all either. She still is as vibrant and lovely as when I had last seen her, which was quite a long time ago.

Nothing compared to Elora, though.

Speaking of her, I can feel her anger as she stares down the approaching she-wolf. She isn't necessarily glaring at her, but it isn't a look of warmth and happiness either.

I glance down at her small hands which are balled into fists. My wolf feels a tad giddy at our mate's jealousy.

"Oh my god, it's been years since I've seen you. How are you, Mav?" Faye says as she hugs me.

I hear a low growl, and it isn't from me this time. Faye quickly pulls away as we both look over at Elora, who is bearing a very fake smile.

Faye quirks an eyebrow as she glances over at me, waiting for me to introduce her to Elora.

I clear my throat before saying, "Faye, this is Elora, my mate. Elora this is Faye, an old uh friend."

I can tell Elora knows that "friends" is a bit of an understatement based upon the side glance she is giving me.

Faye and I were actually lovers back in high school and right before my sister passed away. Once I became Alpha, Faye decided that my negative demeanor was too much for her to handle, and she decided to move to another pack hours away.

Faye smiles at my mate, but I can detect an upset manner just by glancing in her eyes.

The thing is, I had told her many years ago when I was young and quite immature in my thinking that I'd reject my mate for her. She doesn't have a mate due to her mate rejecting her for a human girl. Apparently the other girl was very wealthy and the guy wanted to live a normal life.

At the time, I had felt bad for her and promised her that...but, once she left me and I met Elora, my heart and mind have changed significantly.

I would never leave Elora...ever.

"Hi, Elora. It's nice to meet you. I was also best friends with Millie—"

"Don't bring her up!" I growl out, cutting off Faye.

I hate even hearing her name anymore. It brings up bad memories, and I can't help the guilt that seems to seep into my mind and soul whenever she is mentioned.

Faye crosses her arms, glaring at me. "Mav, it's been five years, and here I thought you changed."

As I'm about to snap back at her, Elora speaks up, shockingly dissipating the aggressive air around us.

"Faye, I'm guessing you used to be in the Valient Ula pack?"

Her question actually seems genuine, and I'm able to take a couple deep breaths to calm myself down.

Faye smiles, nodding.

"Yeah, I had to transfer packs due to certain circumstances. I decided to pay my parents a visit." She glances over at me since I know the reason why she left.

Me.

"Well, I better be off. It was nice meeting you, Elora. And Mav, positivism is key."

I give her a curt nod as I know what she is meaning. Elora only says farewell, giving her a confused look. Faye then walks away, and I can feel Elora's eyes on me.

"She's nice and extremely beautiful." Her tone is sharp.

"Yeah. Not as nice and beautiful as you though, babe." She rolls her eyes, but she can't hide the smile that's creeping up on her face. "Let's get going home. I have some things I want to show you."