// Twenty \\

The memory of his teeth sinking into my skin, creating a wave of heat and a new found love lulls my mind and seeps into my dreams that night.

In my dream, Maverick appears before me. His hair is shining blindly in the afternoon sunlight, and his eyes are a prominent golden hue. It is as if he is the sun god himself, emitting rays of light with every step he takes.

It's as though he is Apollo.

His eyes linger down to my new mark, which in the dream I'm seemingly showcasing. The mark looks like an image of the sun with how the teeth marks closed up.

"My mark looks beautiful on you, baby."

His voice is low as he bends down to kiss down my neck, ending at the mark.

I feel myself internally swoon as he calls me 'baby'.

Wait.

Baby?

No...

I immediately try shoving him off me, but his grasp on my shoulders is too strong. He pokes his head up with a lethal smile, his eyes now that ghastly piercing yellow, making me shudder with fright.

"You don't listen. You and your precious Maverick don't listen."

His voice is much lower than before. It is the same voice from my previous dream with the demonic wolf.

It is his demon.

"Please. Stop this! Let go of him!" I scream out at the impostor who's still clutching onto me. He's digging his nails into my shoulders and making me scream out more in pain.

"Oh, sweetheart. He's not the only one I have a grasp over. You'll find out on the next full moon. Soon enough...baby..."

His icky voice trails off as his figure seems to dissipate into the light surrounding us. My body falls to the ground, shaking.

The next full moon.

"Elora! Wake up!"

My eyes snap open to see Maverick stroking my face with a worried expression. He is now shirtless, and the moonlight bounces off his beautifully carved body. My wolf purrs at our mate's beauty, but I still am shaking in fright.

I wrap my arms around him, trying to calm my erratic heartbeat. He responds immediately by hugging me back, enveloping me in the warmth in which I've grown to love.

"What was your nightmare about, babe?" he whispers in my ear, his voice much like his hug: warm and full of love.

Quietly, I ask, "when is the next full moon?"

He pulls back instantly, giving me a worried expression. "Why?"

"Just answer me, Maverick. When is it?" My voice is laced with worry. Worry for what is yet to come.

"In a week. It should be the day of Liz's birthday party. Elora, please tell me why?" He then casts his gaze downward and says, "What did it say?"

"I—I think we will—will find out that you're not the only one under his—his control..."

I begin to hyperventilate, my body shaking with force. It is as if someone has thrown me into the cold lake while the wind is harshly blowing. I feel every chill to the maximum. I feel every fear; even those that are always buried deep down.

I feel everything in that moment.

Maverick panics by calling the pack doctor and his beta as I convulse in a strange manner. My eyes roll back, yet my conscious mind can still hear everything.