Chapter Fifty-Four

Start from the beginning

She hadn't expected to come across Udolf tonight. He sat on his throne, his chin resting on his palm. She had no idea what possessed her to walk right up to him instead of avoiding him altogether. But she did, and he immediately noticed her.

"I must say," he started, "I'm surprised you and your father are still here... in the home of the monster."

"My father says we will leave in the morning," she informed him, trying not to dwell on the last bit of his statement and the sarcasm that'd slipped through his words. "We thank you for your hospitality."

Udolf stared at her for a moment, narrowing his eyes. His hands moved down, gripping the ends of the armrests. "I know it was you," he said flatly, as if it wouldn't have any sort of effect on her.

Elouise tensed, rendered speechless despite her best efforts.

"Don't worry, Your Highness. Your secret is safe with me," he promised.

"H-how... how, how do—"

Udolf waved her off. "Let's not ask questions we know the answers to."

Of course. She could not act innocent when she knew about him and I.C.

"How does it make you feel?" he asked, his tone gentle and full of intrigue.

Elouise drew her brows together and diverted her attention to the bland stone floor. "It does not matter how it makes me feel. I did it to save her life, and now I'd like to pretend it never happened."

"Do you feel heroic? Powerful?"

"Neither."

Udolf chuckled, causing her to look at him. "You are modest, Your Highness. Although, I suppose that doesn't surprise me about you." He rose from his seat and stepped off the platform, halting right in front of her and eyeing her like she was some mystery waiting to be solved. "May I ask one more question?"

Elouise meekly nodded.

"Are you afraid of me?"

"Why would you ask me that?"

"I'm hoping your answer will be no."

Elouise knew she wasn't. Haven's confirmation that he wasn't the boss helped ease her nerves overall. His involvement still baffled her, and that was the main issue she had with him now.

"If I may be honest," she commenced, "no, I am not afraid of you, Udolf. However, I cannot say that I... that I trust you." And she saw his pale green eyes glisten before he blinked hard. Then his expression hardened.

"You do not trust me?" he asked. "Why is that?"

"Let us not ask questions we know the answers to."

Udolf raised his eyebrows, realization dawning on him. "Haven." Elouise wanted to take this chance to walk away, except he noticed her move and quickly inserted, "I am not going to harm you."

Elouise groaned, closing her hands tightly at her sides. "I am not worried you will harm me. They want to hurt Eldon! How could you be possibly ally yourself with people like that?"

Udolf snickered and shook his head. He pointed to her. "You are judging me?" He turned the finger on himself, then dropped it. "You saved one of their lives today."

"That's different."

"How is that different? You let one of their strongest believers—their strongest warrior—survive. How are you so sure she will not betray you?"

Elouise pursed her lips. Haven had her reasons for still being a part of Inferum cantivat, and Elouise wanted to trust those reasons were relatively harmless to her and Eldon. Besides, she knew the way Haven and Henry looked at each other. Haven wouldn't hurt him in any way. Elouise believed that without a doubt in her heart.

"I have known Haven for years," Udolf continued. "You do not want to trust me, but you should trust when I say Haven never hesitates to choose herself over others. She is not selfless like you, Eldon, or Prince Henry." Then he mumbled, mostly to himself, "I learned that the hard way."

Elouise frowned, her thoughts running with possibilities as to what he exactly meant by that. Instead of elaborating, Udolf grinned. However, she couldn't help noting how strained that smile seemed. It wasn't as confident or cunning as she had become accustomed to during their short stay. She found herself feeling sorry for him but instantly disregarded it.

"I think we should at least promise each other one thing," he calmly suggested.

"What thing?"

"I will keep your secret if you promise to do the same for me. As of now, I'd rather my people not know that I am assisting I.C. with anything."

"How exactly are you assisting them?"

Udolf frowned, his jaw clenching. "Oh, don't worry about that. I assure you it does not and will not affect you or Eldon."

How could she possibly trust his word?

Then again, as she pondered it quickly to herself, she realized she didn't have to. Not necessarily. Agreeing to this deal would keep him close, allowing her to get to know him even better and easily keep watch on him in case anything went astray. She merely had a few questions first.

"Tell me, Udolf," Elouise started, "that handkerchief you have... you've always known what it truly means?"

Udolf blinked and reached into his pocket. He pulled out the very same rag she'd seen fall the night of her birthday. And he unfolded it for her to see his initials stitched in the corner. "My mother did give this one to me. If you must know, she was apart of them before she met..." he cleared his throat. "Before she met the man she married. Yes, I always knew what it meant because she told me. I believe she wanted me to join them at some point in my life. I never intended to, though."

He snickered to himself. "It's funny how plans change, though."

"How did you get involved?" Elouise took a deep breath, steadying her pulse. "If, if you do not mind me asking."

"I do mind, actually. Yet I admire your bravery, so I'll answer."

Elouise lifted her brows. My bravery...

"It was Haven," he said, smiling. "That's all I'll say about that."

"Fair enough." She inched closer to him, and he held out his hand.

"If you're satisfied, do we have a deal?" he asked.

"Yes. We do." Elouise grabbed his hand, shaking it once before letting go.

"Excellent choice, Your Highness," Udolf said. "I have something for you, and I'll admit I have been going back and forth about this for hours. Now that we've made this agreement, I will show you what was found in Arnold's belongings." He walked back to this throne.

"His belongings?" Elouise took a few steps.

"Yes, he hid them in a few bushes outside." Udolf picked up a book and held it out to her.

She simply stared at it, uncertain why a book would matter right now. And then she recognized the leather, and she gasped.

"My mother's diary," she cried, rushing over, and snatching it from his hand. Even though she flipped through it to confirm, she knew by the material that it was the same one she'd lost. "Did he have any others with him?"

"Hmm?" Udolf raised an eyebrow. "We only found a ring, spare clothing, and vials filled with potions. I thought that was his until I read the first page. Respectfully, I didn't read any more of it once I realized it was hers. I promise."

Elouise's chest felt warm, and her vision blurred. "Thank you..." Although Beatrice's diaries were still missing, this one meant more to her. Words written by her mother.

"Now I shall bid you goodnight. Sleep well. Long travels tomorrow." Udolf walked past her and hurried up the first set of stairs.

Elouise followed him with her eyes, so many little thoughts racing through her mind. She honestly had no idea how to feel about him or how much of what he said was even genuine.

But then she glanced down at her mother's diary and smiled. At least he'd given her this. Now she couldn't wait to go home and prepare for a journey she and Eldon would eventually be taking.