Chapter Fifty-Three

Comincia dall'inizio

"Henry, be serious."

"How am I not being serious?"

They halted briefly, turning toward one another. Elouise began to play with her hair and Henry was mesmerized by her delicate movements. Then he started to recall that she—his childhood friend who used to make "remedies" for any sick stray cat she encountered—was considered the savior of her kingdom. He thought about how that title meant she'd been possibly blessed by angels. Despite the horrors it brought, the dangers she now faced, and the fact that Henry still wasn't sure what an "angel" was, it was a holy cause. It was heavenly. No other word could describe Elouise better.

"Udolf is going to kill her," Elouise whispered, shattering Henry's serenity. Her words certainly hadn't sounded heavenly.

He blinked hard, wondering if he'd heard her correctly. "I... I don't understand?"

"Apparently, Arnold was an Interloper who was banished a few years ago. That is when he joined I.C. and came to the castle disguised a nobleman. Udolf said he was going to kill Arnold to show his people what happens when they go against him. Then he mentioned he was going to use Haven to send a message to I.C. And, and that... he was going to do so by..." Elouise averted her eyes.

Henry took a step back, too astonished for words. Yet this is what he'd feared would happen to her. Last night, when she'd been taken, his first assumption was that Udolf would kill her. He'd eventually convinced himself not to worry about it. Not to worry about her.

Because it didn't matter. She didn't matter.

What a fool he had been.

"Eldon and I had hoped to speak with Udolf privately," Elouise continued, "and convince him not to hurt her. We didn't reach him in time."

"No," he breathed, shaking his head, trying, and failing to ignore how erratic his heartbeat had become. "I cannot let anything happen to her, El. She saved my life."

"I know. The only thing we can do now is stop Udolf in front of everyone."

"How do we do that?"

They heard offensive hollers from down the trail and, for a second, Henry thought he'd quit breathing altogether. Elouise gripped his arm and tugged him forward. They ran to catch up with everyone else.

Just behind the main square was a wooden gibbet with a crate underneath in the center of a wooden platform. A crowd immediately—and eagerly, it seemed—gathered around, muttering to each other.

Udolf ordered them to make room for King Philip and Elouise upfront. While King Philip and Haley wandered to their spots without hesitation, Elouise hid behind Henry and shook her head when Udolf glanced questioningly at her.

"I do not care if he deserves it," she whispered to Henry, "I'd rather not witness Arnold's death." Then she turned her head away and shut her eyes.

Eldon and Fayre moved to stand beside them. Henry idly searched the crowd for Lord Berney. It felt strange not seeing him by King Philip's side. He examined every single face he saw. Most of the people seemed excited by what was about to occur, as if it had been too long since the last execution. Others were simply lost and confused, especially when Arnold was dragged onto the stage.

Henry felt a lump in his throat. No other prisoner was in sight. He took that as a good sign...

For now, anyway.

Without saying a word, Udolf snatched the sack off Arnold's head, causing the former trainee to gasp for air and look up wildly at everyone. His light-colored hair—sticky with sweat—was plastered against his forehead, and his lips were colorless and chapped.