FORTY-FOUR

I woke to a cold it pierced my skin like needles. Slowly and reluctantly, I uncover my face. I blink, close my eyes, and blink again. Everything is blurry and cold.

The cold licked my whole body, crept under my costume, and spread across my skin like the lacy tide on a cold winter beach.

The coldness hit my nerves until I lost it as I was chattering my teeth hard. I realized I was inside a large container around me with all-white decorations of ice. Hanging on the wall were frozen meat, hooked, and a couple of shelves containing other meat products. That is when I figure I'm in a large freezer.

A painful poke of pang hit my head when I remembered something struck me. I tried to massage my head, only to be chained up.

I tend to move, but my hands are shackled with chains against the wall. With a bit of my strength to fight the cold and freezing limbs, I tried to pull the chains with no success. My whole body is like frozen yogurt. I'm able to move but stuck in one spot.

I wasn't sure how I got here, but I'm cold as fuck right now. My whole body was shaking as I pulled up my knees, hugging my legs to keep myself, hoping I could get some body heat. It takes time, mainly because I'm inside a freezer that is the size of an elephant.

I took a deep breath, closing my eyes, not wanting to see my breath. I tried to scream, but the cold made my throat dry.

My eyes shot up as the large stainless steel door opened. I held my legs tighter against my chest, and my eyes grew wide to see a familiar face with a cheeky grin off her face.

I glared at her.

"Well, good morning Sleeping Beauty," Nina chuckled with a grin. "Although it is still night outside. I knew you would follow Logan and me in the alley. It was only to lure you away from your friends and out of the crowd."

Nina was wearing the most comfortable winter jacket and boots before me. She looks so much like Niana, too much. Her hair, face, and eyes. It's like I see the real deal cut out from the picture.

"W-why..." I managed to say through my chattering teeth as I saw my breath until I could say the entire question. "W-why are-e...you...d-doing...t-t-this?"

"Why?" She retorts back the question claiming not to know why but she does. "That's always the question, why, why, why, why?"

I could feel my body temperature decreasing the warmth as I tried to keep my eyes open.

"You want to know why?" Nina reached inside her jacket and pulled out a gun, pointing at me. "You took something from me. Don't worry. I won't shoot you...yet." She smirked.

The frigid air inside the freezer penetrated my skin, chilling my blood and sinking into the marrow of my bones like wet concrete. Hypothermia kicks in, and my hand develops a tremor. My muscle shakes uncontrollably from the cold and the gun in her hand, pinpointing my brain. If I were to get her angry, she could blow my mind out in pieces. Nina crouched down to my level, still the gunpoint in front.

"I-I," I swallowed with the dryness of my throat. "I-I didn't s-steal...a-any-thing."

"Oh, I know you do," she spoke coldly as she moved the gun to my forehead. I heard a click. I hyperventilate as my heart races fast. I could listen to my heart beating. "I know you fucking do!"

I shook my head. Nina growled, taking the gun away as she stood back up. "Just like that bitch, she stole him away like you're doing now."

I didn't need to think about whom she was talking about. "Logan?" I whispered harshly.

"Yes!" Nina exclaimed loudly. "Logan is mine. Mine from the start."

"W-What are y-you talking a-about?" I stuttered from the cold air.