THIRTY-NINE

One Saturday morning, I couldn't believe what I was hearing or the fact our house smelled like Wonderland.

It's the same song she repeatedly hums, which started irritating Ares and me.

The death song.

Shake it off by Taylor Swift.

She would sing that song whenever she was super happy because of its hype beat, but the lyrics are about shaking off romance. I don't know why she would be satisfied with a song like that, but the way she sang seems funny yet horrifying.

I could hear her singing from the kitchen as I opened my door and the smell of freshly baked goods coming from the direction of a siren screeching. Athena didn't inherit our dad's harmonic vocals, and she didn't mind. I heard a creaking sound coming from Ares' door, and when I spotted him peaking, he looked mortified.

"Hey," his voice hoarse and scared. "She's back."

"I know."

"Do you know why?" Ares knows why he didn't want the answer because he believes it's all a dream.

"I think it has to do with her telling Rex about the pregnancy."

"She's singing and baking for that," he groaned, rolling his eyes simultaneously. "I love our sister and am happy for her, but she doesn't need to bake 'cause she's happy. And the song, why couldn't she sing a better song? Better yet, she doesn't sing at all."

I chuckled.

"Do you remember the last time she baked because her last boyfriend cheated on her with one of her friends, and they aren't speaking to each other? What's his name?"

"Patrick?"

"Yeah, him." Ares snapped his fingers. "When he broke up with her after a week of dating and cheating, she made us eat all the baked goods and made some for him, but his cookies gave him an upset stomach. She sent the dude to the hospital. I was in bed for three days, Effie, fucking three days, going to the bathroom every ten seconds. Luckily, I survived and was saved from judgment day," He growled, gripping his door tight. "My ass hurts after that."

"You do realize that you are lactose intolerant. You could have said no."

"And feel her wrath? She should know I can't take dairy, yet she wants me to tolerate them." Ares shook his head vigorously. "She fucking scares me."

"Maybe she put soy milk this time."

"Effie, we don't have soy milk because I drank it all yesterday."

"Well, maybe she will give it to her friends at work?" I suggested with a shrug.

I could see his eyes calmly. "If she gives it to her friends, they are my savors. I'm going to pray for them," he gestured the sign of the cross, then said a little prayer to God Almighty. "I'm going to shower."

I snort, shaking my head as I watch my brother go to the bathroom. Then I strolled into the kitchen and saw so many pastries I couldn't even count how many she had baked this morning. Athena was shaking her hips and humming the tune. It made me cringe at how much I was not too fond of that song. Honestly, I hate the singer.

"Oh! Good morning my darling baby sister," she hummed with a whirl. Athena's face was covered in flour, from her hair to her face to the pink apron she had on.

Oh crap!

My sister has turned into a Disney character, and with her tone and attitude, I feel like it's a nightmare that has not happened yet.

"Morning," I respond flatly as she puts another batch of unbaked cookies into the oven and sets the timer. "I see that Rex took the good news?"

"Good? It was great news!" she twirled like a primadonna. That doesn't make sense. "I thought Rex would be scared and dump me. But he was so thrilled; he decided to buy the stuff in L.A. to make a nursery room."