THIRTY-ONE

After spending time with Odin, I learned about his life, and he was born and raised in London.

But the topic of his family made his expression fall, and his tone changed.

Odin never talked about his family, and hearing about his wife and son leaving his life made me realize we are the same. He blames himself for his wife's death and his son leaving home when he was sixteen because of a huge argument.

Odin regretted that day and wanted to make amends, but he had no clue where his son was. The only thing he last heard was he had moved to California.

"So, this whole time, you have not found him?" I asked.

Odin loft his tea and elegantly took a sip like he was royalty. "I had Terry look for him."

I learned that the severe-looking bodyguard is named Terry Young.

"It's no wonder I don't see him here with you. He's like a magnet keeping a watchful eye on anyone close to you."

"Are you interested? Terry is single." He said. "Shy with the women, but he's a good guy."

I shook my head vigorously. "Sorry, no, I have a...boyfriend."

Why did I pause there?

Entitling Logan as my boyfriend felt embarrassed, but it made my heart skip.

Every day at school, we are stuck like superglue and are unable to keep hold of ourselves. We kissed anywhere there was a chance, and I wasn't shy about it for the first time. I wanted him to give me kisses, sweet or steamy, as long as he kissed me.

"Aphrodite? Are you okay?"

I quickly looked to see a worried senior man who could act as a grandfather. I touched my cheeks and squeaked at how hot they were. "Oh, sorry," I chuckled nervously. "I was thinking of something."

"Does it have to do with that Logan boy?" He asked with a tease in his tone.

I covered my face from the embarrassment, making him chuckle.

"It's alright to feel like that, especially when you're in love," he put down his cup. "My wife was like that the first time I met her."

"Really?"

"Of course," he said. "It was our first date together, and I would tell her sweet words that would make her...shy. Like how you act right now. You and my wife are sort of alike."

"How?" I asked curiously.

"My wife, Lorraine, was a singer, but she wasn't those big-shot singers. Lorraine wanted to be a star, but her lifestyle before meeting me wasn't your average life of a woman."

I wanted to ask, but I didn't want to be rude. And if I do question it will insult Odin and his dead wife, and I'm not the type of person to discriminate against the dead.

"She was a prostitute."

I squeaked, which made Odin bark a laugh, and had my face back to a bright red cherry blush.

"I'm sorry, my dear, but that look asked me what my wife did in her youth. It was written on your face." He chuckled.

"Sorry, I didn't want to ask, but-"

"Oh, nonsense. It was my wife's past life, and she wasn't too proud."

"What happened?"

"Well, my wife is the only child of a mother who has schizophrenia. She didn't go to school and paid the medical bills, and medical attention was the only thing that gave her a hard time. So, she decided to become an escort, which was a regrettable decision."