THIRTY

A day before the dinner party at Lily's grandparents' house. I saw Lena at her company, which wasn't so bad.

After I talked to Athena about my encounter with a famous producer, she was thrilled. She decided to take a paternity test for the results of her baby's father. I have never seen my sister look as nervous as ever, which was rare coming from a sister who could speak her mind.

"Now, who's sulking?" I retort the words on my own to Lily, who today isn't in her best mood since that night.

We are at our usual hang-out, and Lily doesn't seem hungry.

"You haven't touched your food."

Lily stayed in silence, staring off into space. I know that look. I had that look. I invented that look. Well, actually, no, but I was in that state.

When she and I went to that dinner party, her grandparents' host. They introduced us to the Naval family, the groom's family. Then during dinner time, Seema, Lily's grandmother, was introduced along with her husband Vishal Haasan with the rest of the guests. The way they saw me was priceless. Although I had myself covered from above my shoulders down to my toes, they saw my scars. And the first time in my life, I wasn't ashamed or worried about their thoughts. If one person thinks my injuries are beautiful, that is all I need.

Meeting the Haasan and the Naval was quite awkward, especially when I got close to them talking about myself, but Lily was in her little world, avoiding eye contact with Kareem.

I took one glance at him and immediately thought of a real-life Aladdin. This dude was dashingly handsome, with dark comb hair neat, the same height as the twins, beautiful copper skin, and his aura screamed Prince Charming. A guy like Kareem would have the whole female Indian population falling to their feet. I felt like my best friend of Rachel in Crazy Rich Asians, which was the BEST movie I ever saw. Lily and I saw it right after school before we practiced our lines.

Vishal and Seema Haasan, Lily's grandparents, were welcoming and... friendly. Just nice. They weren't kind or funny people you wanted to be BFFs with. What I see in them is nothing but judgment. Besides my scars, I wore their traditional dresses, and they didn't seem too happy about some California girl wearing them. The way they looked at me as if I was dressed naked.

The Haasan entertained the guest with laughter and chit-chat. I was then introduced to the Naval family, punctuate, sophisticated, and educated with wealth. In their aura, I see the family of totality. From what I hear, Aamir Naval owns his hotel resort in Mumbai, India. Natali, Kareem's mother a famous fashion designer and model. With her slim stick figure, she has fitted both a beautiful, elegant red dress.

Everyone else was dressed so richly and appropriately. Lily and I felt out of place. But these are her people. Not to sound racist, but it's true.

During dinner, Lily stayed quiet, and I mean reticent that she had gone both mute and deaf. Whenever Seema mentions her family line of farmers as they rose to become top agricultural manufacturers owning whole acres of land. Lily didn't care. All she cared about was something troubling her mind.

I don't know what was wrong with her. She was fine yesterday when I talked to her, but the next day to Meet the Haasan had turned for the worst.

"Lily," I sighed with exhaustion that may reflect how she felt with me when I was sulking about Logan. Then it hit me. "Are you acting like this because of Liam?"

Her body jerked and had me right on the spot. She didn't say a word.

"You know, Liam was acting weird yesterday. Logan couldn't figure out what was up with his twin."