FORTY-TWO

Today is Halloween.

Can you believe it?!

I can't.

I'm wailing in excitement inside.

This morning I had myself ready to wear my Moana costume. Last night I had Lily's dad lend me his curling iron for today. I woke up at five to bathe, dry, and curl my hair. I never did anything to my hair, only tie it up in a bun, in a long braid or let it lose. Curling my hair was new to me. Luckily, Nicky taught me to be cautious about ironing my hair. I've been burned twice curling my hair, and I had to wrap Mickey Mouse bandages around my thumb and index finger, and boy, that shit hurts.

Once I finished my breakfast, I said goodbye to my sister, who was getting emotional about the costume choice because of the pregnancy. I let her cry over it until I left the house. I pulled on my earphone, placing them in my ear as I started to wear my jacket when I heard a calling chant coming from my right

I flash a blush and look over at the Wolfe brother's house to find Seth and Don outside, chilling on the front porch. They were dancing, slapping their hands, arms, and thighs while they chanted foreign words, assuming it Polynesian. They were hooting, shouting, and I couldn't help but smile. They finished once I approached their house.

"Aloha, guys."

"Aloha, Effie," Seth grinned, pinched his chin, looking down from my brown open-toe sandal to my chest.

"Hello, up here," I snapped my fingers at him.

Seth flinched and let out an awkward laugh. "Sorry, it just...god damn! You look hot. Not because you dressed up as Moana, but I could see your chest and bare legs, which by the way, are fucking nice," he bit his lower lip and groaned, then hissed when Don slapped him against the back of his head. "Brah, why'd you hit me? I'm older than you."

"You act like a sixteen-year-old boy whenever you're around the ladies," Don told him.

"So, you're saying you are much more mature than I am." Seth scoffed, rubbing his head.

"I wouldn't eye Effie when she's your baby brother's girl."

"Yeah, Yeah, whatever."

I grinned. "Speaking of Logan, is he ready?"

"I'm ready," speaking of the devil. "Babe, I can't wear just this sarong to school people might see my-" once he came towards the front door. I froze, and my heart dropped. Logan did the same, and we just bore into each other eyes, licking our lips and thinking I'm our heads about what we wanted.

Logan wore the Hawaiian sarong skirt part of the Maui costume, shitless revealing his tribal tattoos wearing the necklace that came with the package and his six packs. His hair was loose, and I couldn't help myself think I was actually looking at a god. Although he doesn't have Maui's hair, he looks perfect. Like a cut-out magazine cover. My heart is racing.

A cough made Logan and I cringe, reminding us we weren't alone. I felt my face heated to my ears.

"Look, if you two don't want to go to school and stay home, that is fine," Seth said in a tease, and Don joined in with a chuckle.

Logan growled at his older brother, grabbing a jacket from inside the house and putting it on, and I felt my whole body warm up. I fan myself to cool off. "Shut up, Seth. Look, your making Ro nervous."

"I'm sorry, but I had the same expression when I saw your girl walking up -whoa! Hey!" Instantly, Logan held Seth by the collar of his shirt.

"Don't think about fucking my girl, Seth," Logan warned with a feral growl. I wasn't worried but instead rolled my eyes. When I looked at Don, he got the idea and nodded like he had a job to follow.