On Top Of The World

Chapter 20:

Beckinsile's Point of View

I wake up to the smells of pancakes and inhale happily as I check the time on my phone. It says 10 A.M. so I slip into my fluffy slippers and walk happily downstairs to the kitchen.

"Good morning," My mom says as she dishes up breakfast.

Nate and Gabe are already seated, waiting expectantly for their food. I take my seat next to Gabe and place my napkin in my lap. My mom brings around plates of pancakes and bacon for each of us.

I take a bite and feel my insides warm. I take a few more bites and then turn to face my parents. I have to tell them one way or another because Oliver is showing up at noon whether I tell them or not.

"Mom, Dad," I start off, trying to think of the best way to phrase this.

"Yes, sweetheart?" My mom says as she sips on her coffee.

"Somebody asked me out," I can feel Gabe's smirk which makes my cheeks warm.

"That's great, sweetheart." My mom gives me a smile which makes me want to lock myself in a closet and die.

"He's coming by to pick me up at noon." I can hear my father choke a little at that sentence.

"I can't wait to meet him," my mom gives me another smile before going back to eating. I can almost taste the awkward.

~~~~~

"I can't wait to meet him either," Gabe smirks as we walk upstairs after breakfast.

"You're going to stay away from him; why don't you take Nate to the batting cages? Go anywhere; just be nowhere near this house at noon." I try to give Gabe the puppy dog eyes, causing us both to break down laughing.

"Nice try but I want to meet your little boyfriend." Gabe chuckles a little as I slam my bedroom door in his face.

I go into the bathroom, wash my face and brush my teeth. I apply a little more makeup than usual and twist the front few layers of my hair and pin them back. I take a few deep breaths in the mirror before going to find the perfect date outfit.

~~~~~

I've spent at least half an hour just staring my closet, trying to come up with the perfect outfit. I decide on my bright red shots, a navy blue baby doll top and my gold sandals. I slide my phone and a twenty into my pocket.

I look at myself in the mirror and give myself a mini pep talk as I hear the door open downstairs. I can feel my heart race and the pep talk is thrown out the window. I open my door and walk slowly down the stairs. I can feel my heartbeat in my throat as I walk into the living where Oliver is talking to my parents.

They have smiles on their faces which is a good sign. Oliver stands up when I walk in and says goodbye to my parents. We walk towards the door as my parents remind me what time curfew is. As soon as we're out the door, Oliver leads me to an unfamiliar red convertible. He gets in the driver's seat and I take shotgun.

"Your parents are awesome," Oliver says as he drives towards the highway.

"I'm glad you think so; you won them over which is a good thing." I smirk and turn on the rock station.

"I'm very charming," Oliver grins as "Livin' on a Prayer" reaches its chorus on the radio station.

"Whoa, we're halfway there, whoa, livin' on a prayer, take my hand and we'll make it I swear, whoa, livin' on a prayer." Oliver and I sing in very off key voices as the song continues on.