An Almost Friendly Gesture

Chapter 9:

Beckinsile's Point of View

"Welcome to day two of your English learning..." Ms. Matthews says over-enthusiastically.

She instructs us all to pull out our summer reading assignments and discuss with a couple of people. Oliver, Fiona and I decide to discuss the book. We talk for a few minutes and then our conversation tappers off into silence. Ms. Matthews realizes that nobody is talking and decides to move on with the class. Ms. Matthews gives us a discussion sheet and tries to get us talking again which doesn't work very well. She then gives us a project where we have to work in partners to write an Arthurian fairytale. She had come up with the groups before class and put me with Oliver like most of my teachers seem to enjoy doing. Oliver said that we should get the marketing project done first though. I agree and say we should do the project sometime next week.

~~~~~

The class thankfully ends and I race towards the cafeteria. The minute I walk into the cafeteria, I loacte Ed and sit down next to him with a huff. I'm still thinking about what Danika had said to Cadillac during gym. It wasn't right what she'd said. Danika needs someone to teach her a lesson but I can't be the one to do it. Mostly because I'm stuck working with her on a project that I'd rather get a good grade on.

"What's troubling you?" Ed chuckles and takes a sip of his water.

"Danika was being a jerk towards this girl in my gym class." I state simply and begin eating my lunch.

"This surprises you how?" Ed raises an eyebrow at me as Fiona takes the seat next to him.

"It doesn't; it's what she said to the girl that's bothering me."

"What did she say?"

"She was being rude about how the girl was "poor" and couldn't afford slutty perfume."

"That's a little harsh."

"A little? The girl was crying because of it and Danika didn't even bat a lash."

"Danika's a jerk but sadly I don't think there's anything we can do to change that." I whip my head around to find Oliver seated next to me.

"Oliver's right," Fiona says in a small voice.

"I just can't believe I'm forced to work on a project with her." I take a sip out of my water bottle.

"Hey, at least you have me." Oliver smirks at me.

"That isn't the most comforting thing in the world." I pat him on the shoulder and chuckle a little.

"Ha ha; now let's move on to more pressing matters, like those strawberries you owe me." Oliver rubs his hands together like an expectant child.

"What did Becks do?" Ed raises an eyebrow in a teasing manner.

"She lost a bet fair and square." Oliver has a pompous smile on his face.

"I'm disappointed, Becks." Ed shakes his head as I hand Oliver his victory prize. His eyes light up as he pops a chocolate strawberry into his mouth.

~~~~~

Oliver seems to be on a sugar high as we walk towards Ms. Mercer's AP History class. I take a seat up front and Oliver, as usual, takes the seat next to me. It turns out that Cody's in this class too. He takes the seat on the other side of Oliver and we all wait for the dreaded bell to ring. I can hear Oliver drumming his fingers on the desk which makes me feel like exploding.

Ms. Mercer stands up at her podium and takes attendance. Then she hands out textbooks and instructs us to read the first section. We're required to take notes and write an essay that's due on Tuesday. I groan internally as I open the textbook.