Chapter Forty-Nine

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Am I the only one?"

"No. Fayre knows 'bout everythin'."

"That makes sense."

They stared silently at each other. Henry had millions of questions jumbled together in his mind, none of which he felt could be appropriate to ask unless Elouise was also present.

Then Eldon frowned and looked away. "Actually, the group of attackers know, too. They've sent anonymous letters to Elouise. Arnold confirmed it when we talked to him. And I'm just tellin' you this 'cause that means—"

"Haven knows," Henry finished, nodding.

"You understandin' better why I don't think she's gonna wanna help?"

"Yes, but this simply gives us more of a reason to speak with her."

"I get it. Just please be careful with her. I know she treated you nice, but you can't trust what her intentions really are."

"You have nothing to worry about, Eldon. Elouise is going to be there with me, and we will ensure that neither of us fall for any of her tricks." But even as he said it, guilt crept in. He had the confirmation of what a horrible person Haven was. Yet he couldn't this persistent and lingering hope that what'd he told Elouise could also be true. Maybe Haven didn't truly want to be a part of these attackers anymore.

He rubbed his face, frustrated. As soon as he'd thought he had started to figure out everything, magic had to be thrown in.

"How're you doin' with this?" asked Eldon.

Henry spread his fingers out and peeked at Eldon through them. "I will let you know when I do," he answered, his words muffled.

They heard a whistle coming from their right and saw Sir Aaron walking toward them. Aaron waved them over.

Eldon got up first. Henry waited, contemplating a single statement that might be safe to ask now. Eldon looked at him with his head slightly tilted and bewilderment knitting his brows together.

Henry stood and struggled to maintain eye contact as the question spewed from his mouth. "Does this mean we're fine?"

Eldon's lips were set into a hard line, and Henry immediately regretting asking such a pathetic thing.

You should have simply let it be. Now you've ruined it.

But before he could profusely apologize for everything, Eldon said, "Still feels kinda weird, but you didn't do nothin' wrong." Then he smiled funny. "Besides, it's kinda hard to be mad at someone you just told yer biggest secret to."

Henry widely grinned, the burst of relief almost overwhelming him. He happily followed Eldon back to the others.

Ivy and Elouise were huddled close and giggling with each other. Ivy noticed them first and welcomed them back in her usual Ivy-enthusiastic way while Elouise seemed torn between smiling at Eldon or avoiding him altogether. She settled on playing with the ribbon in her braid and gazing at a flock of seagulls near the water. Eldon must've caught on to what she was doing, because his shoulders fell, and his frown hardened.

Ivy reached out and grabbed Henry by his wrist. She dragged him along with her, saying how she wanted them to race on horseback. Henry spared a glance toward his friends. They both stood there in silence: Eldon awkwardly rubbing his neck and Elouise "admiring" her pearl ring every three seconds.

Henry started moving his feet to catch up with Ivy's pace. But he already felt tired of today.

Tired of everything.

---
They left the beach shortly after, returning to the manor in time for lunch. When that ended, Henry went to his room and wrote out another message. He signed it this time and folded it normally.

At the tavern, he found that a letter was unnecessary.

Haven was there already.

Henry tightened his grip on the parchment, suddenly unsure whether to turn around and leave, or merely confront her then and there. He'd expected to have time to gather his thoughts with Elouise and plan exactly how to go about this. Well, he could still do that by asking her to meet with him later. However, he worried he would find himself saying more.

Henry stuffed the letter into his pocket and hurried past the tables until he reached hers—the very same one from yesterday.

She sat with her chair tilted back and her legs resting atop the table, crossed at the ankles. Her eyes were focused on a spot on the wall as she repeatedly flicked a coin into the air and caught it. Without speaking, Henry plopped himself down in the seat across from her.

She paid him no mind.

So, he cleared his throat once.

Then twice.

Haven's bland expression remained.

"Haven," Henry calmly addressed. "I have to speak with you."

Haven caught the coin but didn't flick it again. Slowly, she turned her head, facing him.

Henry felt his heart rapidly beat in his neck like it wanted to choke him. He wiped down his palms on his trousers and, as steadily as he could, asked, "Is there... is there anywhere private we could meet tonight?"

"No," she answered without a trace of emotion laced in her tone.

"Haven, don't do this," Henry urged, leaning forward. Lowering his voice, he added, "I know who you really are and what you did to Eldon."

Haven folded her arms across her chest and smirked, her blue eyes practically sparkling. "Aw, I was wondering how long that would take. What did he say about me? All terrible things, I hope." And she laughed.

Henry glared at her, those nerves from before beginning to subside at a hasty rate. "This isn't funny. You ruined his village."

"Oh, they're fine now. Aren't they getting spoon fed because of Eldon's duty to the royal family or whatever?"

"That is not the point!" Henry accidentally shouted, silencing half the room who gave them the side-eye. He waited for them to lose interest before proceeding.

"You hurt my friends over and over again, and you are just going to sit there and laugh about it?"

"What can I say, Hank?" Haven unfolded her arms and threw up her hands in such a nonchalant manner. "That's who I am."

"No. I refuse to believe that."

"Then you are refusing to see what's right in front of you." Haven swung her legs off the table and scooted her chair closer to the table, sitting upright. "Did you come here thinking you could ask me anything and I would so willingly answer? I can't do that."

"Yes, you can, Haven. You do not need to be afraid of Udolf—"

"I am not afraid of anyone, Hank. Especially not the pathetic little usurper."

Henry's brows furrowed as he stared at her incredulously. "Usurper?"

"One who seizes a position of power by force," she replied with a quick shrug of her right shoulder.

Henry sighed. "Yes, Haven, I am aware of what it means. But I don't understand how that applies to him."

"You want us to talk?" Haven's eyes glossed around the room for a moment until settling on Henry's again. "Outside the walls, going north a few miles, you will find a row of ravaged cottages. Meet me in the one with the door still intact." She then stood, checking her surroundings once more before briskly passing him and exiting the building.

Henry's lips twitched. That... that had been far easier than he expected. He thanked the Five Goddesses for that. He then jumped from his seat, knocking over the chair, and regaining the attention of those nearest to him. He fixed the chair, pushing it neatly into place, and apologized to everyone who looked at him warily like he had two heads.

Henry cleared his throat and left, eager to get back to Elouise.