Forty Two

My feet stepping in front of the other as Lily do the same beside me, nothing but our footsteps can be heard as we go through the long hallway.

We reach the door of The Queen's suite and stop ourselves and face the tall white wooden door. I lift my fist and knock on the door a few times and bring my hand back to the side of my body. We wait for any answer, and The Queen herself opens the door, smiling at the both of us. We fall into a curtsy, smiles on our face.

"Anne, Lily. Come in."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

We go straight into the bathroom and prepare The Queen's bath. After I fill the bath with warm water, I turn off the tap and pour some of the jasmine scented soap as Lily scatters petals of roses onto the water.

I tell her that her bath is ready and she thanks us and go into the bathroom to take the bath. We start to clean up the room. As we finish cleaning up the room, The Queen walks out of the bathroom with a white satin robe on and walk straight to the dresser.

Lily strokes a makeup brush on The Queen's face as I style her hair into a french braid. We finish our works at the same time and The Queen smiles at our work.

"Impressive work as usual, Anne, Lily."

"Thank you, Your Majesty." We chorus, smiling brightly at her.

"Today is Carlton's birthday and I think I would be needing one of you to be by my side for the event. And I think Anne should go with me."

"I'm sorry, Your Majesty. But, why are you choosing me instead of Lily?"

"I'm sorry, Lily. But I'm choosing Anne to go with me because the event could go on until late night and I don't really want you to get tired. And I only need Anne for a few things."

"It's okay, Your Majesty. I'm grateful you're giving me time to rest. Thank you."

"You're very welcome, Lily. And both of you should come back here by five o'clock to help me get ready for the party. But of course, I will call to your room in case you forget about it." I nod my head at her words.

"Okay, you both dismissed."

"Thank you, Your Majesty." We give her curtsies and walk out of the room.

"Oh, Lily! What should I do? I mean, I'm going to see important people of this kingdom. Probably important people from all of the kingdom in this big world. Maybe I'm just going to help Queen Alessandra for little things. But I'm feeling so nervous right now. And I don't even know why." I let out a sigh, looking down at my shoes as we walk through the hallway.

"You're going to be fine, Anne. There's nothing to be worried about. You're just going to be there to help Her Majesty. If you're too nervous about it, maybe I can take your job for the night." I look up at her in a little shock.

She's the most shyest girl I've know in this palace and she just say that she will be fine to take my job. Going to the place where there's going to be a lot of people. I'm scared she might get a panic attack and probably faint because of her nervousness.

"Are you sure?" I say, looking at her sideways with doubt.

"Of course! You should be the one who gets more rest. You just got out of the hospital wing two days ago. You deserve more rest than I do." She shrugs.

"I will be fine, I guess. Besides, I don't want to disappoint Queen Alessandra. She chooses me for a reason and I don't want to let her down just like that." I smile.

"Suit yourself. I'm happy for the resting time she has gave me, though." She shrugs, grinning at me.

"I'm actually kind of jealous because of that." I frown.