Twelve

I made my way back to my room and found Lily, Nina, and Lisa already talking with each other on the floor.

"Hi." I stepped into the room with a little smile on my face. Their heads spun and their eyes instantly meet mine, smiling back at me.

"Hi!" Nina grins widely. "Come here." She waved her hand, gesturing me to join them. I walked toward the girls and took a seat between Lily and Nina.

"What are you all doing?"

"We just talk about our family and home province." Lisa replied.

"Oh."

"Where are you from, Anne?" Nina asked, her stare fixed on me as her head tilted slightly, seems interested about my answer.

"I'm from Pinewood Hill."

"That's far from here." Lily commented, looking a little astounded.

"Yeah, very far." Lisa added, her face is in the same state as Lily.

"I know. And I already miss my family now." I sighed, let a pout shows on my face as my gaze fell to the floor.

What are they doing right now? Are they miss me already just like I do now?

"Me too." Nina agreed. I brought my face up and looked at all of them. Their head already hang low in sadness as frowns already replaced their once curious look.

"Do you guys have any siblings?" I broke the sadness and silence in the room.

"I have a brother." Lisa said, smiling slightly at the words. "He was a palace guard. He worked here for 6 years and he just sent home a weeks ago. I thought I can't see him again for the next 5 years or more but I can.

"I lived near here, so, yeah, I have a lot of great time spending the days with my brother. We just talked and play some board games together and we can't even be separated until the day I have to go."

"I don't have any siblings." Lily said, frowning deeply as she stared at her hands. "I really want one, actually. But my mom can't be pregnant. She already has miscarriages. 2 before me and 1 after me.

"The time when my mom know I have to work at the palace, her heart breaks. And when it's the time I have to go here, my mom can't even let go of my hand. But after a long argument with my dad, she finally agreed to let me go. I really hope that she's okay now without me." A tears falls down from her eyes as she blinked.

What have I done? I'm making Lily sad now because my question. I should've not asked it.

"Oh, Lily." I pouted and embraced her in a hug. She hugged me back tightly and within a second, her tears already drenched my shirt. I rubbed her back, trying to calm her down. After a few minutes of hugging, she finally let go of me.

"We hope your mom will be fine. And your dad too." Lisa said, looking at her sadly as she rubbed her back softly.

"We hope. And make sure you sent them a letter to let them know you're fine in here." I smiled.

She just nodded, sniffs quietly as she rubs her red, flushing nose.

I'm feeling so guilty now. Because I was the one who asked them about their siblings. And it turns out Lily have none. Now, I'm hating myself because of this. I hope thing like this would never happen again. I don't want anybody hurting and sad because their own life and self.