Thirty Seven

After a week since the test, everything seems to be normal again. The boy who was having seizures was actually an ordinary person. Max said the boy have something inside his body that rejecting the serum. But other than that, nothing really happens. And thank to god the boy is fine now.

And, he said that they already caught the person who was always getting him to sick. A middle-aged woman caught red-handed by him outside of his room when he was going to the hospital wing as he felt the pain again and she was actually already worked in here since previous Choosing.

Walking through the hallway now feels so usual. I smile and nod my head a little every time I walk past any other servants. Now everything just feels very normal to me. Though I really miss my family back at home, I have to get a grip of myself. And beside, I work here for them too. If I don't, then I can't sent any money home. And I should be really grateful since I still can send letters to home.

Connor walks toward the opposite direction of where I'm going, when suddenly alarm blares through the whole palace. I stop myself from walking and look at him in confusion, panicking a little on the inside as I think of something bad that would probably happen. He quickly walk to me and pull me by the wrist, leading me to somewhere that I'm not sure of.

"What's happening?" I ask, looking at him with eyebrows knitted together in confusion as he keeps pulling with him with haste.

"We need to get into the servants quarters." He said, his voice firm and it triggers something in my mind to think about something that could really happening right now and frighten me. But, why do we need to go to servants quarters?

"Servant quarters?" I look up at him as I synchronize my walking pace with him.

"Yes. We will be safe in there." He said, leading me through the hallway until we reach the end of the hallway and confusion rise up inside my head. Why is he bringing me to the end of the hallway and there's only walls surrounding us. He taps on something on the wall and it split into two.

"I guess we don't have much time to go to the servants quarters. I'm guessing we can stay here." He said, seems a little bit off.

"Okay."

He push me a little into the room and as he close the door, everything turns pitch black and there's no sounds beside our breathing. He taps on a light switch and i squint my eyes at the sudden bright light. As my vision turns normal, my eyes instantly observe the small room I'm in.

There were steel shelf, with foods, medicine, blanket, and other supplies placed neatly and seems like haven't been touched for a long time, a bench lean back to the wall, a sink, and a little room that I'm guessing is a toilet.

"Take a seat. We don't know for how long we should stay in here."

I nod my head and instead of sitting on the bench, I sit on the floor, with my back rest on the cold metal door. Connor sits down a meter away beside me and sigh quietly at his close presence. A feeling in my stomach make me feel uneasy.

Since last week, we haven't really talk with each other. And now, being here with him, only the two of us, make it more awkward than ever.

The time seems to pass by slowly with only the two of us staying in a complete awkward silence. I ask him for the time for five times already and we just already here for only ten minutes.