Sugar and spice

Y'vania's POV

I wake up to voices in the hallway. Mummy's and Mia's voices. The usual morning meetings they hold whenever a family problem needs to be resolved. They always talk about stuff when Nisha and I are still asleep.

I hear my name and jolt upright tiptoeing to the door to get more. They're obviously standing in the hallway.

Okay preparing for work can wait for five minutes as long as I get to hear what the adult's council is planning.

"That's the only option mummy." Mia says softly.
"I don't think I'm ready for this all of this means a lot to me."
"You think I don't feel bad too am so confused right now I don't even know what am going to do and this treatment has to get done within two months or... I don't want to think of what's going to happen."

"Don't give up honey we still have one person."
"Who? Mummy people are so different you can't expect someone to give you whatever you want. Eddie has already done so much for us."

"I know honey I just..I'll talk to someone I know, at work,anywhere I'll do whatever it takes but this house? No. This is the only thing that your daddy left for me. Maybe he would've done so much by now."

"You know what mummy whenever that evil lady steps in here something bad happens,like the last time she stepped here three years ago I almost lost some job due to some things I didn't even do,you remember when someone broke in here and stole the television? She had visited like two days before the incident. She's a devil."

Such talks usually end with daddy and granny talks. If words could kill then Elizabeth O'Connell would be long gone by now.

I sit on my bed trying to reflect on what the whole talk minus the daddy and granny part.

Things are really going on a loose end so loose I mean the we're going to sell everything including ourselves kind of lose. Its obvious my two hundred and fifty dollar per day salary and seventy percent commission I get   from writing isn't going to fix things and the money they've been raising isn't enough for my final phase of treatment.

I have to do something to save this house from going down the drain of course I have to do this or we are all going to move into a new home in some shady area or even the streets.

But who?
Who is willing to donate such an amount?

Its about eight months now my friends are miles away studying, making their dreams come true in New York. No one bothers to call.

In the first few months ,we talked and knew how each of us felt. I guess everyone decided to stop me from reaching them but that's how the world is. The only person I judged wrong is the best of a friend now. My bad boy.

Am getting myself ready for work when my phone rings. I smile and pick it up. Its Anthony.
"Hey handsome am good..yes I will..oh please how can I forget that am looking forward to it. Okay bye I love you so much..yes more than you do. Okay bye."
I place the phone on my dressing table still smiling.
"You guys should get married already what are you waiting for?"
"Patience Nisha. I'm going to meet his family today."
"You mean he's that serious oh you're that serious?"
"Yes okay that aside can you please do me a favour just chose a cute and perfect dress for me I'm running late and I won't have enough time to think of what to wear in the evening."
"Okay I'll do it but under one condition."

Yes that's my sister curse me if the condition doesn't include food or touching my laptop.

"Okay tell me squishy cheeks."
"I don't have squishy cheeks." She says huffing and crosses her arms on her chest looking like a overfed five year old.
"Tell me the condition and go get rid of your excess fat! You're wasting my time."
"My baby is not fat Y.F.S. Brown!" Mummy's voice comes booming across the hallway.

"I forgot its a weekend."

"I heard that!"

Why?
Why can't I learn to lower my voice?

"Y.F.S Brown! Getting late for work." Mia's voice comes from downstairs followed by laughter.

I sigh heavily and sit on my bed.
Ever since Lilly made them aware of my hidden career/talent they can't stop joking around at the choice of name I made.

Yes Lilly the pretty fool did it but of course no one else knows it despite the rise in questions as my work continues to amaze  many.

"I need the password to your laptop and at least five scoops of chocochip ice cream at Javier's."

Told yah must include food and my laptop.

"What?!"
"Yes you heard me don't act like I cut Anthony's di-"
"Language Nisha." I say glaring at her.
"-disease of loving you." She says rolling her eyes.
"Why do you have to torture me every time I tell you to do something for me and I told you my laptop is out of bounds."
"That's what friends are made for."
"No password."
"Unfortunately D.S.M and I are your only friends for now."
"No password." I repeat walking down the stairs with her following closely behind me.

Yes D.S.M don't even ask why or how.

"Okay. Ice cream?"
"Ice cream is okay I'll pass by Javier's and pay him in advance you will go at your own free time after getting my dress ready."
"Good sister!" She screams tackling me almost dropping me on the ground.

My phone rings when I'm about to hit her.

Incoming call from My Bad Boy at 7:27am:

M.B.B: Just checking up on you pal.
Me: Am good I guess you're doing well too. I'm getting  late for work too.
M.B.B: Am good see you at lunch pretty.
Me: Nice day pal see you.

Call ended.

"Okay guys am gone. See you later. Love you." I close the door behind me as Mia and Nisha start bickering about something.

                  ~~~~~~~~~~

I once thought of life
As a pathetic move
A move so confusing
No one notices what's up with life
Until life making attitude strikes
But it all changed
when I saw the light
Just before I lost control
And almost hit my head
against the wall.

There was a time
I was alone
No one to hold
No one to trust
Friends a thousand million miles away
offer no help
For he who seeks adventure
Finally finds something new
that covers the past
The past gets no say over the presence
Maybe a few beeps and rings
Brings up the faux smile
When allies manage to pull
And maintain a facade of confidence and bravery.

Only one person
The man in the moon
Knows we need rejuvenation.

But then
the definition of a friend
Does not base on someone
Who is not there when you need them
When all you need is someone
To rekindle the light
To be a halo
when the sun shines
when the the stars shimmer
and even when the moon smiles.

Few notice the difference and difficulties
To make life a living dream
Or maybe all they do is act
Acting like nothing happens
Acting like everyday is all sugar and spice
and everything nice
Staying all kinky on it
At least being in a better place.
When such a person enters your life
and becomes the very closest knight in shining armour
You have no choice but to join
Live and lavish with them.

HE came into my life
when the closest were far away
Breaking the promises
we once kept the five of us
That none shall forget the other
no matter what
But again promises are promises
They're meant to be broken.

HE came into my life
when things were on a loose end
When everyone's mind
was going haywire
giving up
and giving the last of our hopes and whatever was left behind
by the one and only flashlight
A flashlight we so much needed
In the middle of a dark jungle
That was put off before it could lead the way.

Not so much better than me
HE tried HIS best
Covered in mud
HE pulled me out of the dirt
Each of us having differences
but intersecting at the end
I finally realised that
HE'S the friend I need
Put away the nicknames you gave HIM
See HIS as the messiah
Embrace the kind side of HIM
Insert buds deep inside your ears
Not to listen to the words
That someone else utters
Because all you want is closure.