Chapter 47

You were sitting with Markus. You knew he couldn't stay there forever. You decided to say something.

"Markus?" He looked up at you. "We should check on the others." You said. He nodded in agreement.

"You're right." He said. You both got up and you went over to Kara and Alice. You noticed Luther wasn't with them. You hoped he was still somewhere out there in the city. Markus spoke up to Kara. "I thought you'd be safe staying with us. I was wrong. You need to leave this city while you still can." Markus told them. She nodded.

"Getting Alice away from here is all that matters now. We have to catch the last bus. We might still have a chance to cross the border." Kara said. You nodded.

"If you need anything come to me. I'll help you with anything you need before you leave." You told them.

"Thank you." She replied. "Markus," She called as you both began to leave. He turned. "save our people." He nodded to her and then you followed him toward Josh. Markus sat down in a chair and you sat on the ground next to him. You stayed silent as Josh began to speak.

"If it weren't for you, I'd be dead. Thanks to you, I might see our people free one day. You and I haven't always agreed, but I know we're fighting for the same thing." Josh said to him. "And (Y/n)...you've been a great friend ever since the start. Thank you. Both of you. Whatever you both decide, I'm with you." He told you. You nodded.

"Thank you, Josh." You replied. He nodded to you both. Markus stood up and you followed him away. You went over to Simon. You sat down next to him. He sighed and stood up.

"Our people are counting on you, Markus. You are the only ones who can lead us. Wherever you need to go, we'll follow you." He said. Markus nodded to him.

"I'm glad we have androids like you to help though, Simon." You told him. He smiled.

"Thanks, (Y/n)." He replied. After that, you followed Markus over to....Connor. He looked upset and disappointed in himself. You didn't really care. You both stopped in front of him. You crossed your arms at him, showing you were unhappy without a care.

"It's my fault the humans managed to locate Jericho. I was stupid. I should've guessed they were using me." He said. "I'm sorry, Markus. I can understand if you decide not to trust me." Connor said. You looked at Markus, wondering what he would say.

"You're one of us now. Your place is with your people." You said nothing, not even looking at Connor anymore. Markus began to leave to go talk to North, but Connor called him back.

"There are thousands of androids at the Cyberlife assembly plant. If we can wake them up, they might join us and shift the balance in power." You were stunned.

"Connor what are you saying?" You asked.

"You wanna infiltrate the Cyberlife Tower? Connor, that's suicide." Markus said.

"They trust me, they'll let me in. If anyone has a chance of infiltrating Cyberlife, it's me."

"If you go there, they will kill you." Markus said.

"There's a high probability, but statistically speaking, there's always a chance for unlikely events to take place." Connor said. You were stunned. While you didn't care if he went or not, you were surprised he was going to do something so risky like that.

"Be careful." He told him. Connor nodded and Markus left. You didn't want to talk to North. You were about to leave, but Connor caught your wrist.

"(Y/n), please don't leave. I want to talk to you." 

Markus' POV 

I went over to talk to North. I was kind of eager to talk to her, but I knew I had to check on the others as well. Once I made it over, I sat down next to her.

"They say they don't wanna take any risks with the deviants, so they're rounding our people up and taking them to camps for extermination. In a few hours, we're gonna be the only ones left." I said. "How many of us survived the attack?" I asked.

"A few hundred for the human half and maybe around a hundred fifty for the animal half? Maybe more if you count those hiding all over the city. If you hadn't triggered the bomb we'd all be dead." She said. I wondered about her wound.

"What's your system status?" I asked.

"I'm okay. The bullet didn't hit any biocomponents. You could've been killed trying to save me, Markus. You have to think of our people first. Nothing else matters. In a few hours, it'll all be over. We'll have changed the world or the world will have destroyed us. You have to make a choice, Markus. But whatever you choose, we will follow you." North told me. "I love you, Markus." I felt a bit better at that last part. I took her hand and we connected with each other again. We stayed like that for a while before having to part. 

I got up and I knew I had to speak to them. I had to tell them my choice. I knew my choice. There was no question. I knew North wouldn't like it, but I was glad she would have my back either way.

Jax's POV

I watched as Markus went over to North to talk to her. I saw Connor grab (Y/n)'s wrist. I didn't like it. She was my friend and I had to respect her choices, but I still knew that if she was ever going to forgive him, he would have to work harder than ever to convince her.

I saw her angry glare as she yanked him to a more private room. I sighed. I hoped they wouldn't end up killing each other. Well, more like I hoped she wouldn't try to kill him. I went over to Zora. She was a nice girl I had met. She had a pet snake as well. Her snake was Gem. Gem looked like Fang only she was mainly pink with blue stripes and purple eyes. 

"So, you're sure you got out okay?" I asked.

"Do I look hurt, Jax?" She asked. I chuckled.

"I had to ask." I said. She smiled. She kissed my cheek.

"Don't worry about me, Jax. I'd worry more about yourself. After all, I think there's a reason I call you reckless." She teased. I blushed a bit and smiled at her.

"I'll be more careful." I told her, holding her closer to me. "I promise."