XXII. My lonely days

Being sick. I hated this. I couldn't go outside, I felt way too weak to exercise or do basic stretching routines. I was in a pathetic condition, all alone in my room. I didn't call mom to not bother her. I tried to get in contact with Lea, but she was either offline or didn't answer my messages. I guess she finally grew tired of me. But what did I do to push her away from me? Was I too persistent with my messages or was she faking being my friend from the very beginning? What if-

"Shizuka-san, I'm sorry for the intrusion, but it's time for you to drink your medicine." Not him again. Other brothers just left me alone. Ayato once appeared on my bed, but soon left, telling me to regain the quality of my blood. But Reiji... I told that bastard to leave me alone, to let me take care of myself, but he threatened to tie me down to my bed if I tried walking around. 'You'd cause even more trouble,' he said.

I sat up in bed.
"Thanks, I guess..." He gave me the pill and stood there, watching me drink it. Reiji probably thought that I'd spit it out or something.

"How are you feeling?" He walked towards my nightstand and picked up the thermometer.
"Honestly? I feel like crap, so if you could just leave me alone I-" He stuck that thing into my mouth, shutting me up. Go away, you devil butler!

"I also would rather do my research, but some idiot decided to get sick."
"How is this my... fault?!" I couldn't talk without coughing.
"Who decided to pour out my tea, hm?" My shoulders slumped down in defeat.

"Okay, you're right... Happy now?" I turned around from him, snuggling deeper into my blankets. "Please leave."
"Unfortunately, it's my duty to take care of the sick, so I can't leave just yet."
"Dang it," I muttered, already dozing off into the world of feverish dreams while Reiji stood there, watching me breathe.

"Seriously." Reiji fixed his glasses while looking at the sleeping girl. "She was on her computer again. I told her not to exhaust herself even more." He snuck his hand under Lauren's pillow, pulling out the laptop she hoped to hide from him. Reiji put it on her nightstand, so she wouldn't accidentally break it.

"Foolish girl thought I wouldn't see right through her." Reiji fixed Lauren blanket so it wouldn't cover her face, pulled out the thermometer and, after seeing the number, put a cold cloth over her forehead.

He finished tucking her in and left without making any sound.

---

It felt weird... As if something was gently touching my forehead... Maybe it was a pillow... No, my head was already lying on it, so what was that soothing feeling? Ah... It went away... I wanted for it to stay a bit longer. Why did it have to leave? Maybe it'll come back...

---

My eyes slowly cracked open. I still felt horrible, but at least I wasn't suffering from a headache! Oh wait... Here it was. Owy. I touched my forehead to find a damp cloth on it. How did this get here? I looked around my blue room to find no one. Yes! Now I could try to get in touch with Lea! I lifted my pillow, expecting to find my hidden laptop there, but there wasn't even a trace of it.

Despite my fever, I felt cold sweat covering me from head to toes. Oh no. I pulled away my covers, frantically roaming around for my computer. Nothing!

"Now it's time for you to panic." And my body reacted to this thought. I jumped out of my bed, pulled everything down to the floor. I even flipped over my mattress - NOTHING!

"He took it away! He took it away and destroyed it! Or worse... He's using it to get even more embarrassing information about me! Oh god oh god oh god OH GOD!" Despite the dizziness and my coughing, I was pacing back and forth in my room.