XVI. Surprise

When we came back home, I offered my help in the kitchen, but Reiji refused, saying that there was no need for that. He also said something about one of the previous brides destroying entire kitchen by warming up a bowl of soy milk. My stomach clenched in terror just by thinking about it.  

But Reiji was acting a bit nicer after our trip. He asked about my favourite dishes and dislikes. I had a feeling that he was going to make everything that I hated the most so I said only one dish that I really liked. I think that trying to get on Reiji's good side was working.

I ran upstairs to take a shower. I had some free time before dinner, so I decided to watch a movie, but a message destroyed my plans. It was Lea. I thought that I was no longer needed, that I would be a bother to her if I was to message her, but she always talked to me whenever she could and I was glad that she did.

----- ----- ------ ----- ----- -----

Meanwhile in the hospital.

"How are you feeling, Nadia? How is your health?"
"Could be better. Why are you here again, Mister Tougo?"

"We are having some problems with formalities of Lauren's custody."
"What do you mean?"
"It means that standby guardianship won't work since your husband is still alive." Nadia frowned.
"So what are we supposed to do now?" Tougo smirked and pulled out a small box from his pocket.

"Nadia, will you give me the honour to be your legal husband and Lauren's father?" He opened the box to reveal a small, black ring with a tiny red diamond shaped like a rose.

"Is there no other way?"
"Unfortunately." Nadia painfully sighed.

"I am not putting on this ring. Did you prepare the marriage agreement?"
"Yes, it's right here." Tougo waved the documents, enjoying the sound paper made.

"Actually, let's leave it for later. How is Lauren doing?" Nadia asked with a hand over her mouth.
"Aren't you in touch with her?" Sakamaki asked curiously.
"She never tells me about her problems or struggles."

"She's doing just fine. At first she had a few problems at school, but my son Reiji helped her out."
"Oh? Is she getting along with everyone else?"
"Not as good as with Reiji."

"She haven't mentioned anything about him." Nadia sighed.
"It's alright, she probably doesn't want you to worry about her," Tougo smirked, knowing well about Lauren's first night in the dungeons and the threats his boys made to keep her silent.

"Enough with the blabbering - let's get down to business."

------ ----- ----- ----- ------ -----

It was refreshing to talk to Lea. We might have talked for the entire night, but sadly, she had practice early in the morning. And I bet Reiji was already done with food, so I got ready to eat. I was about to leave my room, when Subaru stormed in.

"You. Follow me. Now." He took my wrist and started pulling me.
"Wha... Wait! Where are we going?" In the other hand he was carrying his backpack. What was inside? Torture equipments? Drugs or worse... Perverted cosplay costume for two.

"Stop talking or he will hear us." Subaru was carefully putting his feet on the floor as if he didn't want to step on a lego.

"Who's going to hear us?" I asked in a whisper, already panicking. Subaru was as predictable as lightening - you never know when or where he will pour out his anger.

"I told you to be quiet!" He silently scolded me. Suddenly, he looked at the direction of the kitchen.
"Damn it he noticed!"
"Who noticed what? What is going... on..?" One moment we were in a hallway and the other - in a dark place that reeked of dirt and... Roses?