XXIX. Game over

I was running down the school hallway, trying to not be late to my next period. I was forced to go to the infirmary because I started feeling like I was going to pass out. Thankfully, Reinhart-sensei was there to help me feel better quite fast. I had this persistent feeling that something was wrong and I just couldn't figure out what exactly. I hated this feeling so much, and being late for a test wasn't making things any better. Without even looking at the number I slammed the classroom door open... It was empty.

"Oh shoot, wrong floor!" Now that was quite a mistake. I was about to turn around and run for it once again but someone grabbed me from behind and pulled me inside. 
"Finally you're away from him," a familiar voice muttered behind me sending a cold shiver down my spine. It was Shu.
"Let go of me!" I tried to pull my arm from his grip but he was really strong. 
"Stop this futile wiggling and listen to me. I have to tell you something important you need to know." He pulled me further away from the door. Shu wasn't gentle, but he was making sure not to actually hurt me like the rest of his brothers usually would. 
"Why should I listen to you? You tried to kill me!" I kept on trying to shake his hands away from me but he didn't let go.

"Have you ever thought why that guy never tried to do the same? Reiji killed his own mother, what makes you so special to avoid this fate?" I could tell from the tone of Shu's voice that it wasn't an actual question for me to answer. I could only hope it was because of love, but... Why didn't he try to hurt me in the past..?
"Okay, that is a damn good question..." I turned my head to look Shu in the eye. The corners of his lips slightly went up forming a subtle smile. "To Reiji." I wasn't about to be fooled by one of them once again. I had to ask Reiji about this and hear the truth from his lips.
"He's been keeping something really important away from you," Shu had let go of me seeing that he had my attention. Not going to lie, hearing these words hurt. I trusted Reiji with my life, but at the same time... Why was my life so important to begin with?

"From the sound of it, you all know something I don't. Wait... Is that the reason why you guys were trying to get rid of me?" My eyes went wider when I realised just how much I possibly didn't know. Just what in the world was going on..?
"I've lost someone dear to me once because of Reiji." Shu looked me right in my eye, his face was serious, clouded with dark shadows from the past. "I never really tried to do anything about it but now he has someone precious to him as well." He took a few steps towards me. I slowly backed away from him to keep the distance between us. 
"Is this why you want to hurt me..?" I felt bad for Shu... His eyes were filled with pain and sadness... No furry, no anger nor lust for revenge, just agony of someone who had and lost someone dear to him. But I wasn't dumb. I felt pity, but wasn't about to risk it all to comfort someone who might be trying to kill me. Again. 

"I don't want to make him suffer the same, although he deserves it." Shu kept on moving towards me, cornering me, leaving me no way of escape. "I'm not the one who's going to cause you the most pain." Shu grabbed my chin and pulled my head to face him. I could see his fangs sticking out, ready to pierce my skin.
"He wouldn't-"
"He already has, you just don't know it yet." He whispered before licking my neck. I started trembling. Not from his touch, no... It was the thought of being so fooled by Reiji... I believed in him enough to trust his actions... but not enough to blindly trust his motives.

"Stop it... You haven't really said anything to prove your point." I tried to keep my voice sounding as calm as I possibly could despite the inner tremor. 
"How's your mother doing?" My heart stopped.
"What do you mean? What did you do to her?!" I could no longer keep my calm. 
"Nothing. She chose not to tell you-"
"Not to tell me what?! Say it!" I was clenching his sweater, my sight started to get blurry with tears. 
"She's ill, Lauren. We all knew from the very start that she didn't have much time." I felt like my world was crashing around me. This couldn't be real, it just couldn't... Mom would have told me... She would have...