XIX. Don't save me

I screamed out as I felt myself falling through the ice. I had no time to react as I found myself underwater. Sudden contact with frozen water sent my body into shock. I felt an enormous urge to gasp for air, but I pressed my palm against my mouth and nose to fight it off.

I was taught what to do in situations like this, but I never thought I would ever need to use those advices. I knew that my body was already in shock and that I had to get the hell out of here now or I'll drown. But when I tried to swim I realized - where was the hole I fell through?

Everything around me was pitch black. Of course, above me darkness wasn't as thick and you could tell it was the surface, covered in ice, but there was no hole. I was sinking deeper and deeper into the freezing darkness and there was nothing I could do. I tried to swim my way up, but skates and Reiji's coat weighted me down. I felt my lungs burn with the need of air. My heart was beating faster than it ever had in my life.

I peeled that heavy thing off of me. Sorry, Reiji. It didn't help me at all. I was still desperately trying to swim up, but I felt it wasn't working at all. Was I really going to die there? Was I really going to die like this? No. I don't want this!

Even though my lungs were spasming for air, I tried to reach my skates. My fingers no longer listened to me, but I still managed to pry the skate off of my foot. One left. I felt how coldness was rapidly seeping into my body, but I tried to ignore that - I had to survive.

I tried to take off another skate, but the urge to breathe in was unbearable. Come on, just a little bit more. Lauren, come on! Yes! I untied it. And another skate was off. I just had to swim up. Just a little bit more, come on! Just a bit more... But slowly, my strength was starting to leave me. I tried to swim some more, but my arms gave in.

I was slowly consumed by darkness. Did I pass out? Was I already dead? Maybe only dying. I still felt my lungs burning with need, but it slowly faded away. Where was I? Why wasn't I breathing? Maybe I should take a deep breath? Yeah... I should... Huh? What was that? Something splashed in a distance. Huh... Where was I? That's right. I was in a middle of the lake. I felt someone yanking me by my hand.

Someone was pulling me up. Who was it? Was it Laito? It had to be him.
I felt the air. Someone was pushing me up, yet another pair of hands grabbed me from above and pulled me up.

"Come on, wake up!" Pair of hands laid me down. Once my body felt that I was no longer drowning, I started to cough violently. Another pair of hands rolled me on my side. I had no energy at all. I think I couldn't even open my eyes. I wasn't shivering at first, but then a wave hit me and I felt my body being consumed by trembling.

"Laito, what the hell?!" I heard a voice screaming. I couldn't recognize the voice right away. It sounded like someone I knew, but I never heard that voice yell like that.
"I don't know myself. One moment she's here and the other - ice is broken and she's gone."

"It doesn't matter now. She will die if we stay here." A pair of arms lifted me up. I managed to open my eyes. No. It couldn't be. It had to be the lack of oxygen. I was definitely hallucinating. There was no way in hell that I was in Reiji's arms. His hair was dripping wet and his glasses were gone, but that person was definitely Reiji.

"Re..." It was a stupid idea to talk. A fit of coughing cut me off. Another wave of shivering hit me.
"There's no time." He muttered as he teleported us into the mansion.

"Shizuka, whatever you do, do not fall asleep now." He was practically running towards the closest room of the house. Reiji seemed really concerned. Water on his hair had already hardened, making his hair shine in the light. He dove into the freezing water to save me. Reiji. The one, who wore mittens. The one, who hated cold air more than his most hated brother.