XIV. PE with Yuma

Today was a special day for our school community - our lessons were with mixed classes. Because of it, I had history with Reiji, even though he is my upperclassmen. But it wasn't that bad, no. History is history, no matter the age of a student. But the main problem was my next period. It was PE. 

Don't get me wrong, I love jogging and playing basketball, but only when I want that. I hate to be put under pressure of requirements. 'Run a certain amount of length in a certain amount of time and we don't care that your legs are short.' Not all kids can be athletic, you know.

And on top of that, teachers really like to compare results of their students. 'Look at Jimmy. Look how beautifully he can serve a volleyball ball. Why can't you do that?' Maybe because Jimmy has been playing volleyball since the age of five? He's a professional dang it!

Teachers like that just make me feel worthless, as if I have no talents or skills. Like I'm not good enough for anything. But thank goodness we were playing basketball today. For the first time I'd dare to say.

Two boys were choosing their teammates: Ayato and a guy I didn't know. If I wasn't mistaken, he was taller than Reiji and that's really tall, he had brown hair, tied in a ponytail. His smirk was as confident as Ayato's, if not even more.

Since our teacher didn't believe that girls could match boys, we had to make our own teams and play in the opposite side of the gym.

Game has been going smoothly. My teammates were quite skilled and collaborating with them against our opponents was really fun. But not as fun as playing together with Lea. We had our secret moves, or secret attack and defense strategies. We could understand each other from one glance. Our old school knew us as really sweet and quiet girls, but once we were playing - we were merciless towards our opponents and everyone knew that.

Today, girls were playing like a properly civilized group of people. We didn't play fault or use aggression. We were enjoying our game... Unlike the boys.

We could hear screams, curses, yells of pain and sounds of flesh hitting the ground. A few guys left the gym for infirmary, a few decided to retreat and sit on the bench. And one was still lying down on the ground on his back, muttering something about human population being doomed if aliens were to collaborate with ninja's.

All of this mess was caused by two guys. One was running around like a ball of fierce fire, destroying everyone that stood in his path. He was like an active volcano and his rivals were the civilians of Pompeii. But one guy still stood in his path, refusing to budge away. He was like almighty Hercules, standing in the path of a titan.

Sweat was dripping down from both of their faces, but neither cared. Red titan had the ball and the almighty H stood in the path of the backboard, blocking the view entirely. They stared at each other, waiting for their opponent to make a move. Tension could be felt in the air even from all across the gym.

After a while, I got tired from looking and decided to practice dunking the ball. I wasn't tall, some people might even call me short so I failed to do that. But it was close. Other girls were already tired and wanted to stare at the boys, but I wanted to improve my jump. Attempt after an attempt, failure after a failure, I was running out of breath myself. But I didn't want to give up, not yet. I took the ball, focused my everything towards the jump and started running. But a pair of hands stopped me.

Someone grabbed me from behind by my waist, lifting me up like a small child.

"What?! Let me go!"
"Don't fret, shorty. Allow me to help you." I turned my head to see Hercules' brown eyes staring right into my soul.
"Help me with what?" He was carrying me towards the backboard. Once he was right under it, he lifted me up even higher. Now I knew what baby Simba was feeling like.