XII. Running from the vampire - jumping on the bear

My breathing was rapid and raspy. Legs were trying to carry me through the dark forest as fast as I could possibly run, despite the random branches, stumps and big roots, poking from the ground. All of them were covered in snow, so it was even harder to avoid tripping and slamming face first into the cold ground.

I could hear my persecutor's steps right behind me. He wasn't tired, he wasn't panting or showing any signs of exhaustion. No, he was as energetic as always. But he was still teasingly running right behind me, to make sure to create a feeling of a predator and its victim. That's what we actually were - food and a consumer. A victim and an attacker. A human and a vampire.

"Hurry up, or I'll suck you dry." Ayato threateningly whispered right into my left ear.

"I'm trying... my best." I wheezed out. Just as I thought - I was still not fit enough to call myself physically strong. I was still too weak to run away from them or to fight them off.

I heard Ayato's sigh of annoyance.
"Seriously, I will suck you dry if you don't move faster."

"Oh cut me some slack - I'm just a human! And besides - we went for a simple jog. I don't have to run from you for real, right?"

"Do you want me to catch you for real?" Even though he was behind me, I could still sense his sadistic smirk on my neck. "I got pretty thirsty, you know."

"I see water all over the place. Just chew some snow." I said before even thinking about the consequences of my words. But when I realized my mistake - it was too late. Ayato has heard it and now he was going to strike any second now. I gathered some more strength in me and tried to run away from him, but in vain. I could still hear his footsteps no matter how hard I was trying.

"You're finally picking up speed to be at least a little bit interesting for Ore-sama." Usually, I don't run longer than an hour, but not with Ayato. He has practically forced me to run for more than an hour with a half. I know - it was my mistake, because I was the one who offered this exercise after all.

A few weeks have passed since the... Mysterious incident with Reiji. But he still hadn't told me anything about that night. I couldn't bring myself to face him no matter what. Not knowing what happened on that night was the worst torture - painful blood sucking was better.

But since that night, I started to get a little bit more comfortable with a few brothers. Surprisingly - Ayato was one of them. He once barged into my room, demanding for takoyaki and because I didn't know how to make them - he had my blood instead.

But the very next day - Ayato rushed into my room once again, but this time he had a plate of octopus balls. I didn't want to eat them, because they were the reason I was fatherless, but Ayato just shoved one into my mouth, saying how honored I should be to be fed by him. And I had to admit it - takoyaki are frickin' delicious.

Also, I found out that Ayato was participating in sports (quite unfair for the human kids without vampire strength who have to play against this competitive guy). And since the forest is stuffed with wolves, I somehow got Ayato to go for a run with me.

At first he didn't want to do anything, but a few simple phrases like 'I didn't know, that Ayato-sama wouldn't be able to run for a few minutes' got me a running partner. I couldn't have asked anyone else.

Subaru was not in the mood at the time and I valued my life. Kanato was out of the option list, because I didn't want race the death itself in the woods. Literally.

Laito is no, just no. I mean - alone? In the deepness of the forest? With that pervert? There are so many ways that things can go wrong with him and I don't want to experience neither of them.