3.11 | the wonderful thing about Kinley |

"Is you wearing a pretty dress for mawmaw?" I hear Embry coo as he brings Kinley in from changing her.

I smirk a little as mom and I sit at the table, coffee in hand, talking. "It's amazing how a man's mind melts when a baby is involved."

"Your father was adamant he would never be like that." She laughs.

"He still did it well into our teens." I laugh too and smile as she takes Kinley from Em.

"Oh look at this pretty dress, Kin." She coos; Kinley's face lights up and she giggles, blushing with a cheesy grin. "Does she say anything yet?" Mom looks at me as she bounces her.

I nod. "She's pretty good with her sign language. But she says the usual mama, dada, baba for bottle, the 'puh' sound for her paci. This is my favourite. T-i-double g-"

"Rrrrrrr!" Kinley says as she throws her arms up.

Mom laughs as she gasps. "Oh my heart!"

I smile. "Someone loves Winnie the Pooh."

"You did too - Piglet was your favourite in the entire world. I bought you a Piglet stuffie with a blanket in his hands just after the boys were born and I told you he was your new baby. You made me help put a diapy on him and everything."

"I still have it, it's in the nursery now." I smile, vaguely remembering what she said happening. "I'm sure it still has the chew marks from Bailey."

Mom smiles and looks at her mug. "Will I see them...?"

"I'm sure you will. You just got in, in time too because they should be back tomorrow from who knows where." I smile. "How... How long will you stay?"

"I can only stay till Sunday, I have work again Monday; at such short notice I could only get a few days off. But I've booked the holidays off, if it's okay for me to visit?" She sounds hopeful, chewing her lip as she looks up at me.

I smile wide. "Yes! I would love that! And you would be here for her first birthday too if you can stay into January? If not we will just celebrate early." I smile eagerly.

"I will see what I can do - I wouldn't miss it for the world. I really do want to make up for lost time."

I nod and take her hand. "I'm so sorry I was so harsh to you. Dad told us everything... I haven't spoke to him in a month."

"Aubree." Mom scolds lightly, scowling. "That man did everything for you. We both made mistakes in that marriage, we both chose the wrong things and ultimately we both got hurt - you kids got hurt. We're nothing like those people anymore, and you aren't the person you were 2 years ago. Things happen for a reason, I've learnt that lesson a lot in my life, this was one of those things; we may never know why exactly but we just move along."

I smile a little. "Yes mom... I'm still not used to saying that."

She laughs, the corners of her eyes crinkling. "It's so strange to hear it yet I can't get enough."

I giggle small and sigh. "Would you like to go to the beach? Embry has work so it'll be just us girls."

"Sure, I've heard the beach here is beautiful. What do you work as Embry?" Mom looks at him.

I pale as Embry sips his coffee shrugging. "Bit of everything. Tradition has that Quileute boys stay on the res and protect the tribe; I do everything from landscaping to a handy man, council member, delivery guy. We pretty much do everything." He smiles.

"That sounds... amazing. Very traditional, you don't see that very often anymore." She shakes her head.

I sigh silently in relief and smile. "He's very proud of his tribe."