twenty three

hi.
(say it back)

"hey you." louis smiles at zayn. he was pushing his baby brother and sister in a double stroller. he stops right in front of the park bench that zayn was sitting on. "sorry for being late. ernest didn't want to sit in his booster seat like a big boy."

"that's okay." zayn chuckles. when louis asked to meet him at the park, zayn couldn't of been more happy. he hasn't seen his best friend in a while and he can't remember the last time he's actually been excited to see him.

ernest and doris squirm in their seats, wanting to get out and enjoy the playground in front of them. louis unbuckles them and lifts them out of the stroller.

"make sure you two stay together and don't go too far where achoo can't see you." louis tells them. the twins nod excitedly before ernest grabs his sister's hand and they run off the slides. zayn scoots over so that louis can sit next to him. "thank you for coming." louis says.

"no problem. i guess i've kind of missed you." zayn says and playfully shoves louis. louis laughs and leans back against the bench, eyes focused on his siblings going down the slide.

"i've been meaning to take them here, but i've never had the time." louis says. "i think the twins are starting to notice. obviously they don't know what's going on, but i think they've noticed the change in atmosphere."

"how is she?" zayn asks. it's hard not to notice how much louis has changed. he's obviously matured, but physically, it has taken a toll on his body. he's much skinnier than before, he skin is paler, and bags are under his eyes. he looks drained.

"if she would tell me the truth, i would know." louis chuckles bitterly. "she's really weak; needs help with everything. i moved back in with them. leaving them every night scared the hell out of me." he sighs and shakes his head. he sniffles before turning his head the other way, wiping his eyes with his shoulder. "so how's liam?" louis asks, in hopes to change the subject.

liam. that's a subject zayn doesn't want to talk about. especially because of how emotional he's been recently. "i wouldn't know either." zayn says. "he broke up with me."

louis' eyes widen and his jaw drops. "shit– i'm sorry man. what happened?"

"dylan told him what happened between us and he broke up with me— right after punching me."

"he punched you?" zayn nods. "damn zayn. you're always picking the fiesty ones." zayn cracks a smile at this, even though he feels absolutely shitty. "well i hope everything works out between you two."

"thanks lou." zayn smiles, genuinely smiles at his best friend. he feels so guilty for abandoning him in his time of need.

"seems like both of our lives just suck, huh?" louis says. zayn chuckles and nods his head.

ernest and doris come running towards them and louis immediately turns his attention to them. "swings?" is all doris says.

"i don't know..." louis says teasingly. "what's the magic word?"

"achoo." doris whines, grabbing at his hands. "please?"

"actually, the magic word was coconut," louis says making his little sister and brother giggle, "but i guess. race you to the swings!" ernest and doris take off to the swings, louis "running" behind them, saying things like you're too fast.

zayn follows them, assuming louis will need help because there's one of him and two of them. he watches louis lift his siblings in the swings before he takes his place behind ernest.