twenty five

EVERYBODY SAY DATE TIME DATE TIME DATE TIME DATE TIME

zayn tried to tell himself that there was no reason to be nervous. that it was just another ordinary day with liam. but that wasn't true and both him and liam knew it.

this was a date no matter what they called it. zayn was taking them on their first date and it had to be perfect. he's lucky enough that liam even said yes.

zayn had told liam a day prior that he'd be picking him up at eleven. he figured that he'd let liam sleep in because they'd be out the entire day. plus, if liam's still tired he can take a nap during the massage.

zayn knocks on the door and stuffs his hands into his pockets. he dressed a little bit lazy due to the dinner being at night, but he plans on changing clothes before then.

liam opens the door with his signature smile. "hey z!" liam says. zayn's glad that they've become close enough to call each other by their nicknames. sure, it's a simple letter but it means a lot to zayn.

"hey liam." zayn smiles. "you ready for today?" zayn asks.

"i'm so excited!" liam says. he's holding a small bag which zayn assumes is his change of clothes. "i've never been on a date that's not a date but it is a date before." he teases.

"there's a first for everything." zayn chuckles. "are you ready to go?" liam nods eagerly. zayn holds out his hand for him to grab, liam does and shuts the door with his other hand.

"what a gentleman." liam says dramatically when zayn opens the door for him.

"are you going to be like this all day?"

"possibly."

"so help me god." zayn makes sure liam is fully in the car before he shuts the door. he jogs around the car and gets in on the drivers side. he puts the key in the ignition and starts the car. "do you want me to put that in the back?" zayn asks, referring to liam's bag that was sitting at his feet. liam hands zayn the bag and tosses it in the backseat. the bag hits the seat and falls on to the floor.

"well i could've done that." liam says. he reaches back and picks it back up, gently placing it on the seat. "can you tell me what we're doing first?" liam asks once he's situated in his seat.

"nope. nice try though."

"i'm gonna find out regardless. might as well tell me." liam attempts to persuade. zayn doesn't budge though making liam sigh and sink into his seat.

zayn chuckles and plugs in his phone with the aux cord. "any certain artist you'd like to listen to?"

"sam smith." liam says immediately. "i love him so much. his voice is absolutely perfect." liam gushes. zayn hands him his phone so that liam can search for it, not wanting to distract his driving. "we're gonna start with his first album and make our way to his second." liam tells him. the music starts playing and liam puts zayn's phone in the cup holder.

zayn finds it absolutely adorable to watch liam sing and dance to the songs. liam even used his hand as a microphone at one point.

they get to a song that zayn assumes is called stay with me based on the number of times those words have been sang. liam's singing along perfectly. he's not being playful like he was with the other songs, he's actually trying and it sounds amazing. zayn doesn't understand how he sounds so good and it being so effortlessly.