twenty eight

OKAY i published this chapter at 6:30 p.m (eastern time). comment when you got the notification about the update. i want to see how long the delay is.

when zayn wakes up, liam isn't there.

it takes him a while to realize that not only is liam not in the bed, he's not in the house either.

zayn grabs his phone, figuring that liam had work and didn't realize until this morning. his phone is on airplane mode and there was a single message from liam.

liam: hey zayn... first, i want to apologize for what i'm about to say. we're adults and this should be a conversation that's face to face but i just can't. i'm sorry. i don't think we should see each other anymore. last night, we went too far. it was a mistake and i hate myself for initiating it. last night, we had sex, meaning you cheated on your girlfriend. and i was well aware that you had a girlfriend, meaning i cheated too. i never wanted to be a cheater. i never wanted to be the type of person that i absolutely hate. there's nothing i can about it now. what happened has happened. we shouldn't see each other anymore. there's too much temptation and i don't trust us around each other. i need to grow from this and i can't do that if i'm with you. i am so sorry and i hope that one day, eventually, you'll forgive me.

"are you fucking kidding me?" zayn groans. he doesn't even have time to think as he turns his phone off airplane mode and calls liam. it goes straight to voicemail. he tries again and again and again. zayn eventually comes to the conclusion that liam isn't going to answer the phone and gets out of the bed. he quickly throws on some clothes and grabs his keys before walking out of his house.

he's not angry. no, he knew this would happen one day. he made liam wait too long. zayn promised he would break up with perrie and he never did. he took advantage of liam's feelings. this is his fault.

when zayn pulls into liam's driveway, neither liam's or niall's car is present. he walks up to the driveway anyway and rings the doorbell. zayn tries to open the door but for the first time in forever, it's locked. zayn kicks the door out of frustration and storms to his car.

this is how it is for the next two weeks. zayn would show up to liam's house everyday only to find out that he isn't there. he's not sure where him and niall are staying. zayn has called liam multiple times each day and has gotten the same result.

zayn finds himself at liam's office building. he didn't want to do this. he didn't want to bring their personal life to his work place but zayn doesn't what else to do.

"hello zayn. nice to see you again." sophia smiles at him. "if you're here for liam, you just missed him."

zayn's about to give up. for the past two weeks all he's been doing is chasing liam only for liam to run even further. he's about to admit defeat and walk away when he gets an idea. "actually, i'm here for dylan."

"o'brien?" she asks. zayn nods even though he's not exactly sure. "he's still on his lunch break. you can head right in."

zayn thanks her and walks down the hallway. he doesn't know where dylan's office is and he hopes that he has a plaque with his name on it just like liam does.

turn out, dylan's office is just two doors down from liam's. zayn knocks on the door and waits. he's not sure what his plan is. he doesn't even know what he's going to say. zayn hears a faint come in and he opens the door.

"zayn?" dylan says in surprise. he sits up in his chair and watches zayn as he closes the door behind him. "are you looking for liam? because he-"