Step Down

"Coach?" Victor queried, knocking on the doorframe of the PE teacher's office as he peered his head inside searching for the allusive man, "You in here?" He sighed turning around after the lack of response, "Are you anywhere?" He mumbled.

Just as he was about to leave the football coach rounded the corner, his tracksuit baggy around his lean figure. He was on the phone, too absorbed in his conversation to even notice Victor until he received a harsh tap on the shoulder.

His grey eyes barely looked up as he took another bite out of the half-eaten apple in his hand, humming to the person on the other end of the line before he finally acknowledged Victor's existence with a finger held up in his face to tell him to wait. Victor huffed, setting his hands on his hips. He didn't want to be here for long, he just wanted to get this over and done with so that he could go and have lunch with Yuri who was stood, waiting patiently outside the changing room per Victor's request.

Eventually, the teacher pulled the phone from his ear, hanging up and sighing heavily, he clearly wasn't happy about something. Either way, it didn't matter to Victor and he barged his way past the door.

The football coach instantly looked up to see a very agitated Victor standing across the room with his hands planted firmly on his hips.

"You were on the phone...for ten minutes..." Victor seethed, "that's a quarter of our lunch and I just needed to tell you one thing!"

The coach let out another heavy sigh before collapsing into his seat and propping his legs up on his desk. "Did you really need to wait that long just to tell me that you were getting better at math?" he asked with a completely straight face and that only agitated Victor more.

"I had to keep my bo- my friend waiting outside for that long too," Victor huffed.

"He could have waited inside with you..." the coach shrugged, "Just a thought."

Victor pinched the bridge of his nose. Mr Douglas had to be the most aggravating teacher in the school and lucky for him he was the one he had to spend the most time with. Despite being incredibly in shape for a middle-aged man he was a lazy prick.

"Why..." Victor started, "Why do these words come out of your mouth?" He asked, incredibly frustrated and staring at the man as he pulled a packet of gummy bears out of his desk drawer.

"Just hurry up and tell me what you want to tell me," Mr Douglas said, leaning forward to hold the packet out to Victor, who finally let his hands fall from his hips. He sluggishly approached before sticking his hand into the bag, he wrapped his hand around as many sweets as he could before drawing it back out of the (now pretty much empty) bag. "That was rude," Mr Douglas commented.

"So are you," Victor said, falling into the small plastic chair opposite annoyed grey eyes.

"So what is it?" Mr Douglas pried again, staring at Victor as he stuffed about ten of the gummy bears into his mouth at once.

Suddenly there was another knock on the doorframe and both males craned their necks to see a boy with raven hair and soft chocolate eyes standing in the doorway.

"Sorry, I just came to check because you were taking a long time..." Yuri muttered, looking quite awkward until his eyes roamed over the scene in front of him.

Victor hurried to swallow the mouthful of bears before jumping out of his seat and walking up to Yuri. He could tell that Mr Douglas was about to say something, so, as the teacher had done earlier, he held his finger up, silencing him before his lips even moved. Mr Douglas glared but Victor just ignored him, turning his attention back to his boyfriend.

"Sorry, he was on the phone so we only just started talking," Victor mumbled, taking Yuri's hand in his gummy bear free one before turning it palm up. He poured the remainder of the treats into Yuri's hand before giving him a quick peck on the cheek, "I'll be five minutes. Wait for me?" He asked.

"Ok," Yuri said, shyly pecking Victor back before walking back outside to enjoy his gummy bears.

"You're gay?" Mr Douglas asked casually, taking his feet off his desk and for once actually sitting up properly.

"I suppose I am," Victor replied, returning to his seat.

His coach chuckled, his grey eyes crinkling in the corner, "I did not see that one coming...Maybe I should get my gaydar checked for damages?" He muttered, using his hand to stroke his incredibly pathetic beard.

Victor just rolled his eyes finally deciding it was time to get to the point of this little visit.

"Well, what I wanted to tell you is that I'm resigning as team captain," he hummed, pleased to have gotten that off his chest finally. He stood, nodding at the dumbfounded man across the desk from him before turning to leave.

However, before he could leave the room Mr Douglas was up and had slammed the door closed in Victor's face.

"No," he said simply.

"I can resign if I want," Victor said, placing his hand on the handle and opening the door a crack only to have it pushed closed again.

"No, you can't. Firstly, we are in the middle of the season. Two-"

"You can't say firstly and then two, it just doesn't work..." Victor interrupted and Mr Douglas glared at him before continuing on.

"Two, you are doing Physical Education as a subject in school. It's the only subject you could get an A in and I'm not willing to give that up, you shouldn't be either. And thirdly-"

"You ch-"

"Shut up! I know what I did." Mr Douglas grumbled, flicking Victor's shoulder, "Thirdly. You are the best on the team, you have earned this spot and you shouldn't give it up so readily."

He sighed, finally letting go of the door so that Victor could open it.

"I can't force you if you don't want to, but you shouldn't quit."

"It's my decision and I'm resigning," Victor said, pushing down on the handle, "I'll stay on the team, but I just can't be the captain anymore."

"Ok..." Mr Douglas sighed and Victor stepped out of the office, quickly making his way out of the changing rooms.

As he stepped around the corner he smiled to see Yuri still there waiting for him. He strolled over, pecking Yuri on the cheek again before taking his hand. "So, lunch?" He asked and Yuri nodded in reply before holding his hand out for Victor.

"I saved you one," Yuri smiled, as Victor looked down at the gummy bear in his hand.

"Thank you," Victor hummed, taking the treat and tossing it into his mouth.

"So, what was that about?"

"Oh, nothing really, just some football stuff."

A.N. That didn't take as long as I thought, but I think I'm done for today. Make sure you've checked out and voted on all the chapters I posted today. I've been a busy bee ;)