If Only He Knew

Victor yawned as he took his first step through the school gates. He hadn't seen Yuri after school yesterday and no matter how many text messages he sent him, he hadn't received a reply. Not a single word, even if it was just to let him know he was ok.

Dragging his feet as he walked down the hallway, Victor made his first stop the bathroom. He pushed the door open just enough to slip inside before heading over to the sinks. With one twist of the tap, he could hear the gushing of the water. He held his hand under the waterfall and finally felt some relief as he threw the pooling substance onto his face. It was cold, but he didn't care, it was refreshing more than anything else.

The water dripped from his face, some going back into the sink whilst some stained his blue t-shirt with darker patches as if it wasn't the tap water but salty tears cascading. He sighed, raising his head to stare into the mirror at his own reflection. Overnight a bruise had formed under his left eye from where JJ had hit him yesterday after the second time Victor had confronted him about Yuri's whereabouts.

With care Victor traced his fingers over the mark, feeling the slight sting but he kept his face neutral as the reflection of his own piercing eyes stared back at him.

Surely he was overreacting, it wasn't normal for someone to get this worked up about anything so foolish. He hadn't seen Yuri for half a day, he shouldn't just immediately assume the worst, no matter how plausible it could be. Maybe Yuri was still mad at him for offering him money or for telling him that he should focus on his studies?

Victor raked his fingers through his hair, only to grip it, closing in on himself as different thoughts and ideas ran through his head, all of them as bad as the next. He liked Yuri, he liked him a lot and it hurt physically to know that something was amiss.

A loud ring suddenly echoed around the school and as the bell sounded Victor clutched the edge of the sink with both hands, staring back at his own reflection. He looked like shit today and he knew it. His silver hair was scruffy and unkempt, his clothes thrown onto his body without a care in the world and the bags under his eyes were dark and showed everyone exactly how much sleep he had missed out on the night before.

He twisted the tap, stopping the flow of water and as he could no longer hear the stampede of footsteps beyond the door he could assume he was now late.

+ + +

By the time it was officially break, Victor could barely keep his eyes open. His feet padded along the hallways as he made his way towards his English classroom. The plan was to wait there throughout break as him and Yuri had English together. That way he would surely be able to catch him before class started.

It only took him twelve minutes and fifty-six seconds before out of the corner of his eye he caught a glimpse of a small boy in an oversized hoodie, some raven-black hair escaping the coverage of his hood.

In one swift motion, Victor was up off the floor, leaving his bag by the wall he was slumped against and taking massive strides towards Yuri. However, as Yuri saw silver hair and those blue eyes coming towards him he stopped in his tracks. It was all one big panic of what to do. His heart began to beat faster and he half considered turning around and running away - this wasn't Victor's burden to bear, it was his.

Despite this, in the end, he couldn't do anything, he was frozen as Victor's eyes locked on his. Though immediately he shifted his gaze to the floor, allowing his fringe to cover his face and pulling his backpack tighter around his shoulders.

A second later strong arms wrapped around him and a soft voice cooed in his ear 'I'm sorry...whatever it is, I'm sorry.' But Yuri felt everything all at once, the paracetamol he had taken this morning had little to no effect as the pressure if Victor's arm on his side sent pain prickling throughout his body. He gritted his teeth, holding back a whimper before shoving Victor away.