Better Without Manners

Victor slammed his hand down on the alarm. It was blaring so loudly it could give anyone a headache, yet as he sat up he realised it was already the morning. The sunlight streamed in through the window and he sighed rubbing his eyes of sleep as they adjusted. He had intended to call Yuri the night before but his lack of sleep had been eating at him all day and it must have just caught up to him.

Either way, there was no use stressing about it. He clearly needed to talk with Yuri about a lot of things and get to the bottom of the situation, but there was a time and a place.

"Victor! Breakfast's ready!" He heard his mother call from downstairs and dragged himself out from between the sheets. As he did so he grabbed his phone from the nightstand. The screen lit up and the first thing he noticed was a text from Yuri.

6:14
I heard you came by my house, was it something important?

Victor read it over again before he began to type a reply.

6:37
Nothing too important, but I did want to talk. I'll pick you up on the way to school. 8ish?

With that, he threw his phone onto his bed and padded over to his chest of drawers. Lazily he pulled out a t-shirt and slipped it over his head before exiting the room and trudging his way down the stairs for breakfast.

"Working at home today?" He asked as he waltzed into the kitchen.

His mother was there, standing by the hob and carefully plating up another pancake which had just finished cooking. Like his, her hair was silver and her eyes were a bright blue. But whereas Victor's were sharp and piercing like freshly cut ice, hers were warm and calm, almost like a tropical ocean on a summers day.

Without much care, Victor slumped into a seat around the table and his mother quickly turned the hob off before picking up the plate of pancakes and joining him.

"Actually, it's my day off," She hummed happily.

Just as she was about to sit down Victor grabbed at the plate for a pancake, he was starving and had forgotten to eat with all the drama JJ had put him through. However, as quickly as he had grabbed for it his mother slapped his hand away.

"What happened to your manners," she half-scolded, letting out a light chuckle and she set the plate down between them. The table had four seats but the truth was that they barely ever used them. Victor's mother and father had divorced a few years ago and now it was just the two of them. To Victor, it didn't much matter, his father was a slob who's life just ate away at his mother's hard earned money, but he could see the look on her face sometimes. The big house and the empty seats could remind them how lonely it was sometimes.

"I'm just hungry," he whined, pouting as he finally managed to get some food on his plate.

"Still, manners are important. That Sofia girl is good for you, you are always on best behaviour when she's around." Elegantly his mother began to add toppings, drizzling maple syrup over the cooked batter.

Victor took a breath of air, then sighing it out as he prepared to spill his guts, "About that..." he started and his mother stared up at him, "We aren't really a thing anymore. I mean, well yeah..." He kind of trailed off, leaving his mother with a shocked look as he idly played with his food, every now and then taking small chunks and slipping them into his mouth.

"What happened?" She asked, concern clear in her voice.

"She dumped me," Victor stated, nodding. He didn't really care about that anymore but he could feel the anxiety creeping up on him as he prepared to come out to his mother. He was sure everything would be fine, she wasn't the homophobic type, he didn't think...

"Oh honey, I'm sorry." She sighed, dropping her fork to pay closer attention to the conversation.

"Oh, no, it's fine, seriously." Victor tried for a smile and chuckled dryly, "I'm completely over it, she wasn't very nice in the end anyway. But what I wanted to tell you was that I found someone else."

This time Victor could smile properly as he thought of Yuri, he looked through the doorway and into the living room, distinctly remembering the night they had fallen asleep together watching a movie.

"Oh really, and so soon too..."

"Yeah," Victor heard the concerned shock in his mother's voice, masked by the smile but decided to just let it be.

"Well as long as you're happy I'm happy," she hummed finally returning to her food as she cut up the pancake, happily piling a forkful into her mouth. It wasn't hard for Victor to smile at her comment. As long as he's happy. He was happy with Yuri and he tried to push the nerves down as he got up the courage to speak. He clasped his hands in his lap.

"I am happy," He mumbled the first bit and his mother looked up smiling. This was it. "I was actually wondering if it would be alright to invite him round for dinner this evening, I want him to meet you."

"Him?" She asked with her head tilted to the side ever so slightly. Victor tried not to let his smile falter as he slowly nodded, "Right...So you're..."

"Gay." Her eyes widened a little, and Victor rushed to try and explain himself a little, the cogs in his head turning a million miles an hour, "O-Or bi I guess, I don't really know."

His mother nodded gently and prodded her pancake with her fork, "So, who's this mysterious boy you've fallen for?"

Everything in Victor slowed down and he let out the breath he didn't know he had been holding in. That one question, it made everything ok. His mother was interested, that meant she had accepted it.

"His name is Yuri Katsuki, he's amazing, I promise you'll like him." Victor grinned stupidly as he began to dig back into his breakfast.

"Katsuki?" His mother hummed in thought, "Oh. That's right, I used to know his mother - nice lady. I haven't seen her in years but she used to speak very highly of her son...Yuri."

"So dinner?" Victor queried.

"Of course, it would be lovely to meet him. Also, I'm curious as to what his mother is up to these days."

With all his senses buzzing Victor hurried to finish his breakfast, pressing a kiss to his mother's cheek before rushing back upstairs. The first thing he did was check his phone and to his delight, waiting for him was a message.

6:52
Ok, see you then x

7:03
😘