Beyond Belief

Victor slammed on the breaks and his car screeched to a stop outside his house. If his conclusions were right he needed to talk to Yuri about this. He needed to convince him that he couldn't stay with his father and he needed to go to the authorities about what had been going on.

He sighed, running a hand through his hair as he hurried up the drive and pulled out his key. Once inside he called out for Yuri, expecting him to be up and about by now. But when he didn't get a reply he began to wonder. He quickly checked the living room thinking that he might have been watching TV, but he wasn't. Victor hurried up the stairs and into his room. Yuri wasn't there either. He called out again only to get no response, the same as last time.

Somewhat frantically he looked around the room, only to notice that Yuri's bag was gone. Panic shot through him and that's when he saw the note on his desk.

I've gone home xxx
- Y

+ + +

Yuri dared to raise his head, peeking up to see his father's, Marco's, cold, hard eyes staring down at him.

"I'm not that late," he mumbled but he saw his father raise an eyebrow at his words. He had heard.

"You're late considering that you left school over three hours ago," his father growled, grabbing his wrist and dragging him out of the way of the door so that he could slam it closed.

Marco's grip around Yuri's wrist was too strong and no matter how much Yuri struggled against it he couldn't get free.

"You're hurting me," he complained as he gave another tug to get free. This only caused the clamp to get tighter as he was dragged further into the house.

"You do know that the school calls me when you're seen unconscious in someone's arms and taken away by some crazy boy."

"He's not crazy," Yuri protested only for Marco to turn around. He felt a sharp stinging on his cheek and his head was thrown to the side.

"Stop talking back to me." His father spat and Yuri nodded slowly, tears beginning to prick the corners of his eyes from the sensation. "You need to be taught a lesson," he growled. He reached for an already half-finished bottle of beer, pouring the contents down his throat swiftly before smashing it back down on the table by his armchair.

Marco looked back up at Yuri who was still attempting to escape his clutches. Yuri didn't want to be taught a lesson. His father had said the same thing the day before after he hadn't come home all night and he didn't want it. Not again.

Yuri saw Marco's eyes narrow before he was abruptly pushed away from the man. He stumbled over his own feet, struggling in the attempt to catch himself. Though it was all in vain as he landed with a thud on the floor, his back slamming against the wall.

His father didn't waste a second before yanking him back up to his feet. He dragged Yuri out of the living room and into the hallway until they were by the stairs. Yuri knew what was happening, this had happened before many times.

Despite the scoldings, he began to struggle more. He didn't want it.

"Let me go," he pleaded against his father but Marco didn't stop and just shoved Yuri into the darkness of the understairs cupboard.

It was too dark and Yuri felt a shiver crawl up his spine as something brushed against him. He instantly jumped away from whatever it was. He collided with one of the other walls only to then jump away from that. His breathing accelerated far beyond what could be considered normal, he felt as if he were suffocating.

One of his hands was placed against the door, he could tell from the small amount of light leaking through the cracks and he placed his other hand on the wall opposite. He thought that this might help to steady himself but it just made it so much worse. It showed him exactly how small the space he was in was. Both his arms were almost at a ninety-degree angle and he was touching both walls. He began to panic more.

He once again felt tears begin to brim his eyes and he could feel his heartbeat pounding in his head. Slowly he slumped down against the door. He buried his head in his arms and silently allowed his tears to stream down his face. No matter how irrational this was, he couldn't calm down.

+ + +

Victor wasted no time in running back outside to his car. He clambered into the driver's seat and was already pulling out of the drive as he hurried to pull his seatbelt on. As he sped down the road he pulled his phone from his pocket. He dialled Yuri's number and set the phone on speaker. He was an anxious bundle of nerves as he waited for the phone to start ringing, he just needed to know that Yuri was ok.

The phone went straight to voicemail.

"Dammit!" Victor hissed, throwing his phone into the passenger seat before stepping on the gas.

Within minutes he had made it to Yuri's part of town and he looked down the row of identical houses trying to remember which one it was that belonged to him. He pulled over and began to walk down the street. Eventually, he stopped outside a house that looked somewhat familiar. Did Yuri's house have a rose bush out the front?

Victor shook his head of the thoughts and walked up to the door. He knocked twice and waited for someone to answer.

Within his chest his heart was pounding away, he knew he couldn't just walk in there and accuse Yuri's family of being abusive. There was always the chance that he was wrong about all this and JJ had just been lying to his face.

Suddenly the door swung open and standing before Victor was a tall middle-aged man. He had dark raven hair, much like Yuri's and there was an uneven stubble forming on his chin.

"Mr Katsuki?" Victor questioned.

The man before him nodded, crossing his arms over his chest as staring at Victor as though he were a piece of gum on his shoe.

"Is Yuri here?"

Mr Katsuki's eyebrows furrowed, "Who are you?" he grumbled.

"Victor Nikiforov," Victor held out his hand to shake, "Yuri's friend."

Sceptically Mr Katsuki leaned in, gripping Victor's hand in a firm handshake. Though as he got closer Victor could smell the alcohol on his breath, as if the stench of nicotine wasn't bad enough.

"I never took Yuri for the friend type," Mr Katsuki said, releasing Victor's hand and leaning against the doorframe.

"Well is he in? I really need to talk to him about a school project." Subtly Victor tried to peek his head around the door. He could see through to the living room, the coffee table littered with beer bottles with an ashtray in the middle. Apart from that, there was nothing really out of the ordinary. He didn't really know what he was expecting, how would he be able to tell if something was going on?

"I'd prefer if he didn't see any friends today. I received a call from the school saying that he'd skipped classes so I sent him to his room." Yuri's father spared a glance behind him and Victor followed his gaze to the staircase.

Returning their attention to the conversation Victor nodded in understanding. It certainly didn't seem farfetched for that to have happened.

"In which case, could you let him know I stopped by please?"

Mr Katsuki gave a curt nod before stepping out of the doorway and abruptly slamming the door in Victor's face.

"well okay then..." Victor mumbled to himself as he stepped back away from the house. He looked up to see if he could see through any of the upstairs windows but the curtains were drawn. Yuri was probably fine, he was probably just up there doing some school work. Victor knew he shouldn't have trusted JJ in the first place, putting ideas in his head.

So quietly Victor turned around, pacing up the road and back to where he had parked his car. He couldn't believe he'd managed to get himself so worked up over something that JJ had said. Yuri was fine, although his dad didn't seem like the most savoury character he certainly didn't seem like the type to hit his own son.

He decided that he'd just try and call Yuri again later.

A.N. I think I'm on a roll. I really want to get this story finished so yeah, daily updates? Maybe?