Bring It On

"So everything is really ok with you?" Victor asked. 

Yuri hummed, nodding as he leant back in his seat. Victor sighed, mimicking his action as he stopped at a red light.

"But yesterday, you were exhausted and the bruise on your face..." 

Yuri's took a deep breath. He remembered how concerned Victor had been about him. The way he had tried to comfort him despite how out of it he looked himself. He knew he'd have to come up with something convincing, something that Victor wouldn't have trouble believing. However as he looked over to Victor, his eyebrows were furrowed in thought. Yuri was finding it harder to think quickly than he had imagined and in the end, he spouted the first thing that came to mind.

"I fell."

"Hmm?" Victor flicked his eyes over to Yuri, at the same time trying to keep his eyes on the road as the light turned green and he pushed on the gas.

"The bruise, a couple of days when I was walking home I tripped and I slammed my face into a lamppost." Yuri set his palms on his knees, subtly rubbing away the sweat which had collected, "It was quite comical actually," he chuckled trying to play it off, "and I was just tired because I didn't sleep so well."

"Really?" Victor was shocked. He didn't really know what to think.

Yuri quickly gauged the confusion on his face and quickly attempted to determine what else to say. Surely what he had already said was plausible enough?

"Yeah, really. I'm sorry I was acting weird. I probably made you worry." Yuri apologised profusely, dipping his head and it seemed to work as Victor's features softened, first his eyes before a gentle smile settled on his lips.

"It's fine, I just care about you and I don't want you getting hurt. By anyone - or anything." Victor's smile grew even more sincere and Yuri gulped down the lump that was forming in his throat. "But, if you want to make it up to me you could come round for dinner tonight?"

"I'm not sure if that's such a good idea," Yuri mumbled, turning to look out the window to avoid Victor's curious, searching eyes.

"Why not?"

He hesitated, "I think my dad is still a little annoyed with me for spending the whole night at yours the other day."

God Yuri hated this. He caught Victor's gaze for a second before he turned back to the window. He seriously found himself wondering if it might have been for the best to just break up with Victor right then and there. How was he supposed to keep a relationship going when he constantly had to lie to the person he cared about? When he could barely spend time with him without consequences from his father? 

Yuri suddenly felt his chest constrict with thoughts of his father running through his head. He pressed his hand against the glass window. His breathing quickly grew more erratic and he found himself beginning to panic. He didn't want to panic. Despite the freezing temperatures outside he quickly scrambled to roll the window down. Fresh air hit his face like a wall and he instantly began to calm.

The car was neither dark nor as constricting as the cupboard. Yuri couldn't understand why he had begun to panic like that, but he sighed letting it all out as he felt a soft touch on his thigh. He looked round to see Victor's arms reaching over the gearstick as he traces circles into his leg.

"Is there any way you could change his mind?" Victor asked gently, "It's just that today is my mothers day off work and I really want her to meet you."

Yuri's chocolate eyes met Victor's hopeful ones and he took a deep breath. He could say that he was doing schoolwork, and as long as he wasn't out too late, it would probably be fine. Afterall, he did want to spend time with Victor.

Yuri finally let out the air in a shaky breath and nodded. "I'll try."

Victor grinned, stopping at the crossing to let students pass. Eagerly he leaned across the gap, closing the space between them as he gave Yuri a hurried peck on the lips, "Thank you," he whispered.

Yuri's breath stopped short as he watched Victor return his concentration to the road, pushing forward once the pedestrians had passed. He couldn't help but wonder if this meant their relationship was taking a step forwards. Victor wanted him to meet his family, that meant that he intended this to continue into the future. Did he want that?

Unknowingly, Yuri's cheeks flushed, eliciting a slight smile from Victor.

+ + +

Victor stood by the school gates, waiting as he watched Yuri pace back and forwards by the bike rack ten or so metres away. He was on the phone with his dad.

Over the constant chattering and giggling of students on their way home, Victor couldn't hear a single word Yuri was saying but he carefully watched his facial expressions. Every now and then Yuri would scowl at the phone before nodding understandingly. 

Eventually, the phone dropped from Yuri's ear and he slowly padded his way back towards Victor, carefully avoiding the stream of students as if he were the chicken from crossy road. When he reached Victor's side, Victor carefully intertwined his fingers with his before looking at him expectantly, silently asking what had happened.

"I told him we had a school project due tomorrow that we needed to work on. I have to be home by seven."

"Perfect." Victor grinned, brushing Yuri's hair out of his eyes. For a moment his stare lingered on Yuri's swollen bruise but he quickly urged his eyes on. He flicked them to their linked hands before leading Yuri off to where they had parked the car that morning.

During the whole ride home, Victor could barely keep his eyes off Yuri, constantly flicking them between the beautiful boy and the road. Yuri's eyes, however, stayed fixed, staring out the window. He was nervous. How could he not be? He was going to be meeting Victor's family and he had no clue as to what they'd be like. What if they weren't accepting? He could only imagine what would happen if his father found out, and the outcome wouldn't be pretty.

"You ok?" Victor asked, finally drawing Yuri's gaze towards him.

"Yeah, just a little nervous I guess," Yuri chuckled, attempting to lighten the mood a little bit.

Victor hummed, running his fingers through Yuri's hair. "Don't be worried, I know she'll love you."