Suspicious Minds

Victor sat in his maths lesson, tapping his pen idly against the desk as the teacher rambled on about quadratic sequences. Around him, no one was paying attention and no matter how much he tried to keep his focus centred on the lesson every little sound and snigger would distract him. He ran his fingers through his hair, taking a deep breath in hopes that it would clear his head but when he looked up, nothing had changed.

Just as he was giving up any hopes of learning anything a loud crash resonated around the room and everything stopped. JJ and his cohorts stood in the doorway. A devious smirk was playing on JJ's lips and everyone's gazes were fixed on them.

"Mr Leroy, Mr James and Mr Aaron, class started ten minutes ago, so instead of barging in here and distracting my lesson, how about you apologise and quietly take your seats?" Miss Butcher scolded, sending them a pointed look over the top of her glasses.

Just as expected JJ made no such effort to apologise for his tardiness and the other two goons followed his lead. The soles of his their shoes slapped against the ground as he made his way down the aisle and towards the back of the class - towards Victor. And the whole time that wicked smirk never left his lips.

"How's Yuri?" He hissed in Victor's ear as he slowed down to pass his desk. Dragging his nails along the already splintering wood, his usual dull grey eyes flashed something sinister. Victor's breath hitched in his throat.

"Mr Leroy! Stop distracting Mr Nikiforov and take your seat!" The teacher, Miss Butcher, chided once again.

JJ took her warning this time, drifting past Victor, though only to walk around to the other side of the desk and take the seat right next to him. The chair legs screeched and scraped against the flooring as the boy with cold, menacing eyes slumped down next to Victor.

He didn't know what JJ had meant by 'How's Yuri?' but he could imagine. The things that came to mind caused his whole body to strain against the urge to push JJ from his chair. The undeniable urge to just hit him for being the arrogant, egotistical douche bag that he was. 

The teacher's eyes lifted from the class and she returned to scribbling notes on the board as everyone else returned to their chatting and bickering. However, beside Victor, JJ said nothing, did nothing. He sat there, leant back in his chair, arms and legs crossed. His eyes, every so often flicked to glance at Victor. And despite the nagging feeling that something was amiss and the undeniable rage that was building within him, Victor kept his eyes trained on the board and pretended not to notice. There was nothing he could do whilst sat in that small, grey chair anyway.

So for the rest of the lesson, he sat there, ignoring JJ's constant taunting glances and occasional whispers. That was until the final bell rang and the whole class erupted into the usual 'end of the day' rush. 

Abruptly he stood from his seat, shoving his assortment of pens and books into his rucksack and storming out of the classroom, where he waited for JJ, leant against the chipping paint of the wall. It only took a few moments before JJ emerged from the classroom and Victor wasted no time in grabbing his shirt with an iron grip and slamming him into the wall.

JJ let out a strained groan from the force of the impact, "What the fuck do you want now, Nikiforov?" He grumbled, not even making an effort to push Victor off.

"I want to know what you did."

Victor saw JJ smirk and pushed harder against his chest. The frown on his face becoming more prominent.

"JJ..." Victor warned, a piercing glare to accompany his sharp tone.

"Who's to say I did anything?" JJ replied nonchalantly.

The whole ordeal was beginning to tire Victor out and he could tell JJ would continue to deny any allegation that was sent his way. So with one more glare, he released his grip, taking a step back from those steel eyes and that satisfied grin which screamed accomplishment. The only way he'd be able to know if anything had happened would be to find Yuri.

He took another step away from JJ, who had already begun brushing the non-existent dirt from his shirt, and left. His thoughts were racing as he walked down corridor after corridor, searching for raven hair and chocolate eyes that meant so much to him. However, as time passed, and with every step he took, he grew more worried.

For the past week, Yuri had always waited for him so that they could walk home together. But where was he now?

Victor's heart pounded faster and harder in his chest, threatening to break his ribs with each thump. He picked up his pace and headed towards the bench where Yuri would often be sitting, looking out over the school field with a glint in his eyes and long, deep breaths of fresh air.

And as Victor turned the corner he half expected to see Yuri sitting there, to see him grin and wave as he noticed him.

Yet his heart sank further in his chest and he could only assume the worst.

JJ had done something.

A.N. I'm sorry it's been so long, I hope you can forgive me :)

It's my summer holidays now because my exams are over so you can expect more frequent updates, and I'm really excited to have the time to finish this so hope y'all are enjoying.