26: numb

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

"You're being pretty selfish. Aren't you?" Donghyuck looked at Jaemin who had gripped onto the plastic box in his hands. He was gripping it hard, as his knuckles were all white. "S-Selfish?" He stuttered, feeling pressured by Donghyuck's words. "I'm selfish because I want to care for myself?" He asked and the older boy rolled his eyes.

"I know you, Na Jaemin. You're always running away from your fears. And now since your Dad is in the jail and your Mum is in therapy you want to run away from the problems in your circle of friends. Am I right?"

Jaemin couldn't answer since Donghyuck hit the bullseye with his comment. The younger boy bit his lip. "I'm not into boys." He started. "I can't give Injun what he needs. And I can't dump him." Jaemin held onto his box even tighter. "I can't deal with Jeno's self-harming. I don't know how to help him." Jaemin looked at Donghyuck. Fear in his eyes. "I can't help you with your family problems!"

"You helped me more than anyone else when you gave me Soojin-noona's number."

Jaemin looked down. He couldn't fight Donghyuck. Latter was too stubborn to give up on his opinions. The boys stared at each other for a while when Donghyuck's eyes settled on the box. Jaemin saw.

"This probably sounds dumb, but I made Renjun's favorite sushi. I know he can't eat it but..." - "We can eat it for him and you tell me where you planned to go." DOnghyuck said and led Jaemin to some chairs opposite of Renjun and Jeno's rooms.

Once they were seated, Jaemin opened the box and eyed the older boy. "Why do you want to know where I want to go?" - "So I can stop you." Donghyuck simply answered while stuffing a sushi roll in his mouth. "You know" he started with his mouth full of the Japanese dish, "Renjun and Jeno would fall apart if you would move away just like that. It would hurt more than to dump someone. They need you." 

Jaemin looked up and saw tears glinting in Donghyuck's eyes. He was incredibly tired and exhausted from the happenings around him. And even if Donghyuck didn't want to admit it, he needed Jaemin as well. That annoying, loud and stressed Maknae. 

"We need you," Donghyuck repeated himself when a bunch of nurses and doctors ran past them and into Renjun's room. 

The two teenagers jumped up. Beeping sounds were coming out of the room and the doctors were screaming hectic. "Hyung!" Jaemin called out and Donghyuck froze. Jaemin had never called him 'Hyung'. Slowly Donghyuck turned to Jaemin who was holding his ears.

"I'm afraid. He can't die. He won't die, right?"

Even before Donghyuck could walk over to Jaemin, to hold him, Jeno's door burst open and the broken boy stumbled out of the room. "He" Jeno pointed at Renjun's door. "He's not dying, right?"