23: time machine

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

Has it been three weeks since Renjun had been put in an artificial coma? Donghyuck wasn't sure of it.

He had been home this morning. To take a shower. But then he came back to the hospital, sitting in front of Renjun's room as his mother didn't want Donghyuck inside. 

The woman slowly realized there was more behind Renjun's behavior than his "bad" friends.

When she left the hospital in the evening, Donghyuck was still sitting on that chair opposite of Renjun's room, sleeping.

A nurse woke Donghyuck when it was almost midnight. "You need to leave now." 

Donghyuck didn't want to go home He wanted to stay with Renjun. He had left him alone in this fateful night and he wanted to be there when Renjun would be woken up. He would never leave Renjun alone.

"I need to stay. I need to see when my friend wakes up."

The nurse sighed and patted his shoulder. "He won't wake up that easily. It's a medical induced coma. He needs to be woken up." She explained. "You can go home."

Donghyuck had to leave eventually. But he didn't go home or to the youth office. His feet dragged him to Renjun's safe haven—which ended up being the space he almost died all by himself.

Donghyuck climbed over the fence and scraped his knee in the process. He didn't mind.

He didn't mind a lot of things since Renjun was hospitalized. 

His relationship to Jeno and Jaemin was slowly breaking. Donghyuck knew it was Jaemin's fault for not realizing how Renjun felt. Jaemin said it was Jeno because Jeno hid his own crush on the Chinese boy and Jeno said it was Donghyuck's fault that Renjun wanted to kill himself because he ignored him for his own problems.

Donghyuck sighed when he walked over to the door of the hideout and pushed it open.

Confused he took a step in.

Music was playing, a song Renjun had shown Donghyuck a lot of times—Time Machine by State Champs—and the light was on. The air was warm, so someone must've turned the heater on.

It couldn't be Renjun, he was in a coma.

Donghyuck walked into the room and stopped in his tracks when he saw Jeno, sitting cross-legged on the mattress, wearing his pajamas.

Jeno seemed to be out of his mind. His hair was messy, he had dark rings under his eyes and his hands were shivering. But what disturbed Donghyuck the most was the blood on the mattress, that was coming from Jeno's arms and thighs.

The older boy looked at Donghyuck, tilted his head and whispered, "I'm finally dying."