Placatingly running my hand up and down her back, I hugged her a little tighter when it began to sound like she was going to cry again. "What about the male warriors? Azule?"

At my comment, she burst back into tears. "I don't know! He wasn't with me, but I know they went to fight."

"Breathe Ivy." I instructed noting the tell-tale signs of a panic attack as I pulled her away. The increased acceleration of her breathing, the shaking of her body caused worry to fall upon me.

"It's alright, breathe." I told her as calm as I could, watching her glittered face, from the tears she cried, scrunch up.

"My chest hurts, I feel like I'm going to throw up."

"Breathe, Ivy, Breathe." I stressed once more and did calm inhales and exhales, watching her mirror my actions.

Taking one last deep breath, she sighed softly looking away with her eyes closed. "I don't know where he is."

"He could be alive." I encouraged, pushing a tangled strand of hair from her face.

She only shook her head, glancing at me. Silver eyes swam with desolation. "He's probably dead. Everybody knows that Dynoats don't have mercy. If they're going to kill you, they're going to kill you."

"Ivy." I deadpanned, feeling the heaviness to my chest suddenly throb at her hopeless expression.

"No." She snapped suddenly, causing me to raise my eyebrows in shock. I had never seen her snap before. "No, he's dead, Avril! He's dead! They are all dead! I watched the slaughter! We don't all get second chances at life, Okay? We fought his best, but our primitive weapons were nothing in comparison to their high-tech ones. Their soldiers were monstrous and the others had powers! We stood no chance, so no he's probably not alive and the only reason why I am is because they somehow knew I had a connection with you." Angrily, her hand came and swiped emerging tears from her eyes. "They should've killed me too!"

"Ivy, no!" I shrieked.

"Yes, because I'm useless now! I chose love over power and now my love and powers are both gone. The only father figure I've ever known betrayed us. The only family I had ever known was slaughtered one by one. There's nothing left for me, and once they get whatever they need from you, they'll kill me. Everybody knows they don't set prisoners free." Her metallic eyes were like steel. Her innocence was gone and she now saw the world in its true essence.

Seeing the lost of innocence was like a needle to the chest. It hurt just a bit.

I didn't know what to say. I could see the same emotion on her face reflected in a lot of other creatures who had been touched by the Dynoats: a lost of hope. Yet, it was one of the only things to keep us going. "Everything is going to be okay"

She laughed, tears shimmering down her dark skin. The laugh was empy. "You don't even believe that." Her smile was broken.

Blinking back tears, I smiled stiffly, hating how much the truth hurt. "Not like I used to."

*******

"You should be really glad you're not dead." Niet tutted, once again braiding my hair as I sat on a vanity that had not been there before. Vacant eyes stared at me as I tried to come up with solution to this problem, but kept falling onto one. It was the only option, but I didn't want to do it.

"I agree. He must really like you." Marjani grinned at me, her sluggish tentacles moving leisurely on her like they had a mind of their own. "I mean you burned his face!"

"Did he not have it coming?" I pondered.

Niet simply shook her head with something akin to pity. "Listen here, girl, you're too feisty for your own damn good. You're an idiot to be honest."